Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood questions for smoking turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions on type of wood for smoking turkey? Also how much. My family likes a smoke flavor but I don't want it bitter. Do you place chips throughout the lump or put them on top of lump? I will "thankful" for any help!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fruit wood is good with turkey... . apple, cherry are very good. . .i'm also very partial to pecan, adds a very nice taste and also adds a very nice color to the bird.. . . go light though, one or two small chunks is all you need for a very pleasing taste... . .poultry really picks up a smokey taste very quickly. .. .
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Make sure you allow the egg to burn clean before putting the turkey on. Smell the exhaust! I used 2 small handfulls of apple chips yesterday distributed throughout the lump and the bird had a nice mild smokey flavor.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i dont like the bird sitting in smoke too long, have found pecan pellets to be the answer for me, they burn off quicker. one good handful when the bird goes on, and another half way thru the cook, i use a spatchular to deflect the pellets towards the center when i drop them thru the grate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Yes, a little goes a long way with poultry! Stay away from the hardwoods (oak, hickory) or if you do have to use them, go extremely light.

Like Max said, cherry and apple are great and around here, generally available.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    So if you are using "chips" as opposed to chunks (I don't have chunks), would you recommend:

1) spreading out in the lump before lighting
    2) spreading out on top of the lump just before placing the bird inside
    3) all of the above
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    I just did a turkey this past weekend and used
    1/8 oak
    1/8 hickory
    3/8 apple
    3/8 cherry

but I really enjoy the smoke favor

and like civil eggineer said
    Make sure you allow the egg to burn clean before putting the turkey on.
  • raddad
    Options
    CE,please explain 'burn clean'. Do you mean no excessive (raging) flame from coals or no 'soot' on top cover?
    My cover looks fairly black (not the tan color when it was new, about 3 yrs ago). Is that an issue for turkey?
    All product I've done on the egg has been delicious despite the gradual buildup of blackness, and just wanted to understand if I need to clean or burn off the soot before doing a turkey. If I need to clean it up, please share any recommended methods you have.
    Thanks.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    All very good input thus far with the choice of smoke-wood.
    And I’ll add that even if you like smoke (my family does) go light for your first go-round and ramp it up or down from there. I like cherry, apple and even grape vine with turkey.
    And…I’ll jump, in as long as nobody else has, with regard to your “burn clean” question.
    When ever you fire up the Egg you want a well burning fire before you put anything on to cook. This applies to the use of smoke-wood also.
    The time will vary for a clean smoke, but a good rule of thumb regarding smoke / clean burning that I learned here on the forum is pretty simple:
    When it’s black, stand back. When it’s white, it’s not quite. When it’s blue, it’s time to Q.
    Hope that helps a bit. Somebody (might have been on thirdeye’s site, but I don’t remember for sure) even has pictures of “good & bad” smoke. Basically, a wispy light smoke is what I look for anymore.