Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FOOD SAFETY REMINDERS FOR ALL of us!

Options
2»

Comments

• TheGrillisGone
    Options
    LC,

Thanks for starting this post...Good Info.

I was wondering about using the marinate from beef.

I marinate a flank steak overnight then use this cold marinate and reduce down to serve with the meat.

Is this save? or have we just been lucky?

Thanks!

Jim
    Snellville, Ga
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Clark...Thanks! :) And the Holidays are of course the largest offenders....I hope this helps everyone pause and think, before they walk away from the platters of food on the table. :pinch:
    Congrats on your SECOND BTCMD Award!!! :laugh: ;)
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, and yours!! :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Jim...Pretty much, you have been lucky, though beef is not nearly as bad an offender as poultry or pork. Best to set a bit of your marinade aside before marinating...then there is no concern regarding cross contamination.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Rich...Thanks for the kind feedback...but yes, it is serious business. I hope everyone has a chance to read.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bruce...I hope they do too!! :blink: They say ignorance is bliss?....I say education is the key to happiness. ;) Thanks for the feedback. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. :)
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    LC,

I just bought our turkey Sunday afternoon. Since it is a 20 punder, I am worried it will not be thawed completely by early Thursday AM (it's on the lowest shelf on the fridge). What is the recommended method of thawing quickly? Submerge in cold water? How long cold and how long? And put on the egg within two hours of starting the cold water soak?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Michael....Thanks!! And you hit the nail on the head....these guidelines apply to EVERY day and all ingredients....not just Thanksgiving and turkey.

Good question about the marinating....I will give you my best reply....though I do not fully understand the scientific reason behind these results yet....though I have definately experimented.

I have found the absolute best way to ensure terrific saturation with a marinade is to take the fresh meat, put it into the container I am going to freeze it in, add the marinade, then freeze. During the thaw process, I am assuming the protein strands relax, and suck in the marinade. The marinade also helps protect the meat from any kind of damage the freezer may do. This should only be used if you must freeze the meat!! The best textures still happen when you use fresh meats....never frozen.

If the meat is frozen without the marinade, add the marinade as soon as removed from the freezer, then thaw in the fridge.

Thawing completely then adding the marinade yields the least successful results.

As I said before however, the best meat texture still occurs when the meat is marinated and cooked without freezing.

FYI....You know the premarinated pork tenderloins and such you see in your market?? (Mass produced ones by large manufacturers?) The meat is placed in the bag...marinade is added...bag is sealed, then frozen for shipment. By the time you see it on your market shelf, it has been thawed.

Force thawing...ie under running water...should be avoided if possible, but I know very well...sometimes it is not an option. This method should only be used when the meat is in a completely sealed environment...ie vac packed. Always keep cool water flowing...do not just set the item in a bowl of water, and check the item often!

Hope this answered your question!!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, to you and yours. :)
  • how long can we leave the ketchup and butter out?
    :evil:
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That is a great post LC ,some great tips to think about when we are rushing around at the holidays/

Thanks again.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Bash...In all honesty, you have done the absolute correct thing. Lowest shelf in the fridge...dang... should have added that to my post!! :blink: Raw proteins should always be stored on the bottom, so any liquids that may accidentally leak will not drip on anything else, contaminating it.

I would not be too concerned about force thawing your bird until Wednesday afternoon/evening. Hopefully you will be surprised how much thaw has taken place by then, but no question, it is likely the inner cavity will still contain ice on Wednesday. To be on the safe side, allow the bird to thaw in the fridge until Wednesday afternoon. Then, remove the packaging, and allow cold/cool water to flow through the cavity until the bird is still cold, but thawed. Can't give you an estimate on time....it will depend on the bird! :S After Wednesday, you can leave the bird in the fridge uncovered overnight, which will help the skin dry and will help you get a more crisp skin.

Hope this helps!! Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.....And Happy Thanksgiving to you, and yours!! :)
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Thank you very much for the very informative post. Just the other day my daughter brought us some pepperoni pizza that had been sitting on her counter for a couple days!!! I told her it was no good and threw it out however it worries me that she might have eaten that. I will copy your post and email it to her.

Thank you to everyone else for your questions as I have learned from the answers to them as well.

Also, just a reminder to all the animal lovers that turkey is toxic to dogs.

Happy Thanks Giving to everyone

AuntieEgger
  • Thanks LC:

I asked about those 3 methods in particular because I know I've done all 3 and was concerned about 2 of them. Based on your original description, it would appear that 2 of the methods (especially when marinading is involved) could leave the protein in the danger zone for longer than it should.

Good to know.

Thanks,

Michael
  • nice post michelle. ...thanks for that. ...very well stated. . .
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Thanks - I was thinking of soaking Thursday morning early. I'll follow your advice and remove from packaging late Wednesday to aid the thaw and dry out the skin some.

Hope you and Tim have a great Thanksgiving.

Cheers!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    As long as you feel comfortable.... :woohoo:

Actually I do keep a stick of butter at room temp....due to the environment of high fat, bacterial growth is very limited....More so in salted butter than unsalted, but have never had any go rancid. But it also doesn't last in this house long.... :laugh:

And ketchup has an average Ph of 3.85-3.93. Any Ph less than 4.6 is considered shelf stable due to the acidic content.

So again...as long as you feel comfortable!! :laugh: :whistle:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Michelle.

I was really surprised at the second BTCMD award ! :woohoo:

I was just remembering how much I had cooked in the last week and put it in a post.

Happy Thanksgiving !
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks Dale! As I have said...just hoping it will cause enough concern for people to stop and think, before they leave that turkey, stuffing, or whatever on the counter longer.... ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks much Max! And the very cool thing about this... it is consitent with the Max turkey method....no stuffing in the bird....325* cook temp, etc. You take care of the cooking part....lol...It's after the cooks that concern me the most. :S
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, and yours. :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Auntie Egger....Thanks for the kind words...and I hope your daughter learns a bit from this as well. ;)

I have to say your comment about dogs and turkey threw me a bit, and frankly made me too curious. I have done extensive research before responding to this post. Still I have concerns replying, and I encourage you, and any and all concerned about feeding turkey to your dogs, to remain true to your beliefs, and refrain from doing so. However, the only subtantiating facts I can find for concern remain true to concerns that we as humans should have as well. We should not feed the trimmings...fatty skin...bones...etc...to our canine friends. Ironically, the reasons hold true to humans as well...excess fat intake, pancreatitis, excess weight gain, etc. Excess spices, onions in particular, can be of concern for dogs. However, most every informational source says there is absolutely no harm in giving a few slivers of plain turkey to our dogs.
    But once again, if this concerns you, please do not do so...however, I have not been able to substantiate this belief in research to date. I would be interested in seeing any information you could provide regarding the toxicity of turkey to canines....as it is my job to know food from any and all angles! Thanks for your help!

A Happy Thanksgiving to you, and yours!! :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks LC for your timely advice. I plan to adhere to your guide lines on a daily basis. I also plan to save this post in my favorites and print it using my MS Word software program. Thanks again for taking time to post this very important information. Tim

I guess you travel to a lot of nice and beautiful places. Have a great and happy thanksgiving and regards to bubba Tim
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Bash, you could kill two birds with one stone by brining your bird. We use one of those orange water coolers that you see at HD. Make the brine, pour into water cooler, drop in bird, add ice and cover. Ask LC for details... :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Michelle, how wonderful of you to take the time to post such a thorough and clear explanation of food safety and handling techniques! This is definitely going into my cooking file. I want to be especially careful this year; my DH has already had a terrible bout with salmonella this past summer which required almost a week of hospitalization, so I was thinking that perhaps I had better not stuff the turkey this year. How do you cook the stuffing so that it has that lovely taste, though, if it's not in the turkey? Or is it just a compromise in the name of health?

One year I had the flu, so my daughter cooked the turkey. She left it, stuffed, out on the counter for an hour or so before she put it in the oven, and we were all sick because of it.

I'll have to check the temperature of my refrigerators, now that I know what the danger zone is. What a lovely holiday present you've given us all!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i should be dead, i know ive broken every one of those rules big time :blink: i thought the danger zone was 4 hours, is that something they changed agian?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Chef
    Options
    River Rat....I have been baking my stuffing in casserole dishes for years now....honestly, after the first time I saw what leached out of my bird after brining for the first time.... :sick:
    You can still make the stuffing with that great turkey flavor, but it takes just a little extra effort. Instead of using the boxed chicken stock, make some turkey stock. Just pick up a few turkey wings...butcher them, and simmer with rough chopped onion, carrot, celery, whole peppercorns, a couple bay leaves, and a couple fresh thyme sprigs....simmer a good hour or two...then strain. Use this as your liquid for your stuffing, and you will not miss the turkey flavor. I bake covered in foil until the last 45 minutes....then I allow the top to crisp up. As long as the stuffing is yummy going into the oven, it will be even better coming out....and you won't miss the bird. ;) Note: Any stock that is left can be a great base stock for your gravy. ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Fishless....I believe it was 4 hours in the early 2000's, but the stipulation was food had to be discarded. There was no allowance made for chilling and reheating, because it could not be done without significant danager. Perhaps it was changed to allow for saving foods...ie rapid chill....to allow for a later reheat instead of sheer waste. But it has been 2 hours for several years regardless.
    Have a very Happy Thanksgiving! :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    thanks, good to know, i can work with that both ways and be comfortable. :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    both ways? hmmmmmmmmmmmm lol
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP