Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Wood

Options
Phil
Phil Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was directed to post this question about cherry wood on your forum.I just started smoking meats thanksgiving and was just told today that using cherry wood to smoke with may be harmful because its leaves can carry small amounts of cyanide. Is this true? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comments

• McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    Phil,[p]I can't speak to the content of the leaves, but I don't burn leaves...
    I love cherry!!
    The generally accepted rule is; If it bears nuts or fruit, it's good wood for cookin'.[p]Kevin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Phil,[p]I can't comment on the potential cyanide content of the leaves as this is the first I've heard of it. I do know that we don't burn the leaves and cherry has been used for smoke flavor for years. If harvest your own wood for smoking, use 1" diameter branches and strip any twigs off. Allow 8-10 months to dry before using.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Phil, I wouldn't recommend burning leave of any type, and "stick" with "chunk's" for your wood. Be carefull of orchard stock woods because of residule chemicals in the bark from sprays. Try and keep the chunks around 1 to 2 inches with bark removed. (Some do..some don't. I stripped mine for safety.) Cherry wood is fine, I have some apple and apricot that I salvaged. :-) Age it for 6 months to air dry it before using..then soak for short time before using. Use is within 2 years of harvest.[p]Cheers..C~W
    (

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, we were close...:-)
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Close :-). Good point on using the orchard stock. My back yard is adjacent to a 12,000+ acre state game preserve and I never considered that possibility. It just shows we need this forum as it always keeps us learning. Thanks.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, Ya got it made.. Mushrooms and wood supplies..!!