Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy lump charcoal

FatMike
FatMike Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was at the store today and picked up a 20# bag of Cowboy charcoal for $9.00 and though what the heck I'd give it a try. I filled the firebox up and got her cranked to 550 for some pizza. 1st pizza was great then tossed and dressed the other one put it on and looked at my dome temp it was at 300 opened everything up and seem to stay, so I lifted the lid and looked down and seen the fire box grate. All the lump was gone in a short period of time. Unreal. I would say the whole firebox lump was gone in 30 to 45 mins, anyway had to finish the 2nd pizza in that metal box that heats up in the kitchen.

Comments

• FatMike
    That will Learn me...
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Next time fill to the fire ring. That does not sound quite right, what size egg you got?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I'd have to say all I use is Cowboy and I've never seen a firebox full of lump burn up in 30 to 45 minutes. I've run mine 750 plus to clean it out before and held it for well over an hour and a half and there was still lump. As far as that goes I've never seen any lump burn that fast.
  • FatMike
    I was wondering if someone else used this.. I did fill the firebox up and had quite a bit of large pieces of course using the dump method. I'm gonna try cooking again tomorrow night so we'll see how it goes.
  • FatMike
    Got a large egg. I did just fill it up to top of firebox like I usually do with the Big Green Egg Lump. thought it was quite fast and didn't seem right. Checked the Naked Whiz and they did day it has a low burn time but I'll try again tomorrow
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Yeah, I use that brand to and never had that situation. Strange. Storage is good!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Cowboy has as many fans as distractors. Personally I don't use it, but in its defense you need to realize it has that fast burn reputation due to OFTEN being made from kiln dried wood scraps from manufacturing processes. That doesn't mean it's bad wood - just not what most lump is made from...plain old trees complete with their knots, roots and whatevers!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I just did a 10 hour low and slow and can probably get another cook or so like steaks or burgers.

It does not last as long as wicked good but for the price I am happy.
  • I have had mixed results with Cowboy Brand. Some of it appears to burn quite well, other bags will go up like paper. Some take a long heat up time to get to sweet blue others relatively quick.

I'm sure it's that way with most lump charcoals. Like Ron said it's probably due to the Kiln dried scraps being used.
  • Was the charcoal made from millwork scraps or did it look like normal lump made from logging slabs and branches? The Cowboy we all know and love has been made from milling scraps, but the latest bag I bought was made from slabs and branches. The milling scraps are less dense than the normal lump, and thus the volume (not weight) of charcoal you need to obtain the same heat is greater. A full firebox of the milling scraps doesn't weigh as much as a full firebox of something like Royal Oak.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I've also had mixed results. The last several bags of Cowboys brand I tried had ply wood, concrete, and pieces of metal. The last bag I bought (and will ever buy) had a terrible smell to it that resembled melted plastic. Against better judgement, the wife and I ate our dinners and felt a little "off" afterward. (Headache, upset stomach :unsure: ) I didn't tell her about the plastic smell ahead of time and she was none too pleased when I told her after the fact. Not my finest hour of Egging. :blush:

Cowboys brand lump is off of the "approved lump" list at the Griller household.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    $9.00 for 20 lbs. is a great price for Cowboy, I normally pay $12.00 for it at Ace. I use Cowboy for 90% of my cooks and have never had a problem with it. Have done 2 pizzas at around 550 with it several times with probably enough left over for a couple more.

It does burn quicker than some other brands but it burns pretty clean and lights quickly.

I like it!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Ive used Cowboy and have no issues with it.
  • nothin the matter with cowboy. each charcoal has its plusses and minuses.

i bring a clean small egg to the football game, and when i load it with fresh lump (cowboy), it will be fully lit and good to go in fifteen minutes. great for sticks and general searing.

heavier, denser lumps allow me to have a large fire going for a long time too, but they take a while to light. i have some bags of WG weekend warrior, and though it pains me to use it up this way, i find it gives me a fire at 400 or so for well over an hour. for doing paella plus sides and appetizers. or back to back top back pizzas.

there's a reason some lump costs 50 cents a pound, and some costs a buck a pound.
  • The last time I got BGE lump I paid about $22 for a 20lb bag. That bag had pieces of masonry in it (yes, brick and mortar)

If I'm paying $9.00/bag it's funny when that happens.

If I'm paying $22, it's not funny.
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    griller wrote:
    .....I didn't tell her about the plastic smell ahead of time and she was none too pleased when I told her after the fact......

I bet.... :)
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hey fatmike,

I've been using Cowboy since last Dec and haven't had any complaints. Sure would like to find 20lb bags for 9 bucks! 16 bucks here.