Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Thanksgiving side dishes

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any suggestions for an excellent side dish to serve with a Mad Max Turkey? Looking to add some kind of vegetables or casserole to add into the traditional mashed potatoes/gravy-rolls-dressing- mix.

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I always post this about this time of year. It's a really different dressing that we love. Mike

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2003/messages/103145.htm
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like to keep the dishes as simplistic as possible since there is alot of drinking going on. :laugh: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatos and squash,gravy, cranberry sauce, and rolls. for some reason the rolls either never make the oven, or they get burnt :laugh: my sisterinlaw will add some green beans to the table B) i think i have enough cranberries on my plants to make the whole sauce this year, i gotta plant more of those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Carrot Souffle is good. The tried and true Green Bean Casserole is also good.

Mashed Butternut or Acorn Squash (Baked are good too).
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This is quite good, though I haven't tried it in a couple of years.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2004/11/haricots_verts_roasted_fennel_and_shallots

Looks like this...

ttss_haricot_verts_roasted_fennel_and_shallots_v.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Potatoes 'n gravy we serve both brown and turkey gravy.
    Stuffing - out of bird when egging.
    Green bean casserole
    Corn
    Peas
    Pies

We always try some kind of cranberry something but seldom does anyone like it. This year we hit a home run with something we saw on the Food Network. Make a few changes and it is fantastick, I call it Crappleberry. Consists of some cranberry juice, cranberries, diced apple, cinnamon then added some ginger and nutmeg along with some corn starch.

It was fantastic on the turkey and good enough that we made a Crappleberry Pie. Tastes great both on the stove top and on the egg. This is something we will be using on most holidays.

Other than that we keep the food pretty simple.

Have a great Thanksgiving an enjoy that egged turkey, if you haven't done it before you are in for a great feast.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    no sugar? the sauce is the only thing i change up year to year. might go along your lines with some bluberry chutney that needs using up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Glad you posted, yes sugar was needed. Later on today I am going to look at my notes and get the recipe sorted out. The pie was fantastic.

GG
  • bayouegger
    Options
    BeerBQ,

Not sure where you live but down here in New Orleans, these Mirlitons (Chayote Squash)
    MirlitonsChayoteSquash.jpg
    are a big tradition. They have the texture of squash and needs seasonings and New Orleans has a ton of that.

I've done this recipe for several years and it turns out really good. If you can't find shrimp, use diced ham.

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/2197/Spicy-Shrimp-Stuffed-Mirliton

Instead of the bread crumbs I use a spicy corn bread stuffing mix that is made by Zatterains.

Good stuff!
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    Check out the response from Richard Fl in the post below. I think they would look nice on a holiday table. I don't know whether to try it with a medium pumpkin or a couple acorn squash.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=683433&catid=1#
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    The Best Vegetarian Chili in the World

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Vegetarian-Chili-in-the-World/Detail.aspx

I dont like this kind of stuff, but others do.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Try some roast root vegetables. Chop carrots, parsnips, celeriac, sweet potatoes, turnips, and any other root vegetables you have handy into equal size pieces. Toss in EVOO and sprinkle with coarse salt and fresh pepper corns. Add plenty of pealed garlic cloves, and some sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme, and put them in a baking dish and into the egg (indirect, about 350) for about an hour, while your turkey is resting. Cook until the vegetables start to carmelise around the edges and the garlic becomes sweet and unctuous.
    This is a real favourite in our family.
    Greetings from Ireland, where we dont have turkey day until Christmas, Roger
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses. Still not sure which side dish yet, but I've got some pretty good ideas from the replies. Thanks again.