Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to cook brined turkey

Options
PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have made the Apple brined whole turkey using Mad Max's recipe in the past at 325 and have found taht temp needs around 13 minutes a pound to be at the proper temps for breast and thighs. I am looking for a rough time estimate for minutes per pound cooking the bird at 250 degrees. I would be surpeised if no one has tried it and looking for some ideas.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive never cooked a bird the whole time at a low temp in the egg. what ive done though is cook all day, even into the night at temps between 200 and 225 at the grill level, then kicked the heat up for the last hour to get it done. ive always used a water pan for this particular cook. just be aware that low and slow turkeys dont have the same texture as a roasted bird and the skin goes to the dog. you could low and slow it for 6 to 8 hours then crank the heat up to 400 till done, personally i wouldnt do this on tday and would stick with a standard cook. you wont get good gravy with this cook either, thats the beauty of max's method
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    WOW!! HOLD THE PRESSES fishlessman and I agree again :)

Save the low and slow turkey for drumsticks!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    low and slow is good on fishing trips, setup in the morning, fish all day, crank the heatup at night, and stand over bird and devour it, have seen whole birds disapear in 15 minutes by hungry fishermen :laugh: makes really good turkey salad sandwiches, but its not whats expected by most on tday.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it