Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you clean your egg?

Options
Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I've had my egg going 24/7 since Christmas. I've notice some soot drippings on the top of the egg. I'm curious if you see this a seasoning and a "beautiful thing" or do you like to see that baby shine?
If you have cleaned the outside of your egg, what works, and what should I avoid? Thanks

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Borders,
    I had a lot of black stuff build up around the neck on the outside and tried everything in the cabinet to get it off. Even tried using a wire brush on my electric drill. Nothing worked so I appealed to this Forum and, waa laa, Woodoggies suggested I try oven cleaner. Worked like magic and didn't hurt the ceramic one bit. The inside of my Egg is another story. Why clean it when I keep it busy cooking stuff that just makes more soot. But if I did want to clean the inside I would take it up to 750° to 800° and let it perk for maybe half an hour. But then, taking it up to 800° just screams for a thick ribeye, and thus more soot. Vicious cycle. Love every minute of it.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA [p]

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Borders,
    Clean the BGE......never thought of that! I've had my large for 4 years, Medium for 3 and mini just over a year. The only "cleaning" I've done is once in a great while I'll disassemble them, scoop out the ashes/coals, take a shopvac to it and put it back together.......never had touched the "soot" buildup as it tends to burn off during high temperature cooks......

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Don't clean mine other than an occasional hose-down (while cold!). I still use the ceramic top for many things, and the crud and black stuff around the vent lets me position the top pretty much however I like. When it was new and clean, the top was hard to position and slipped completely shut all the time.[p]Crud is *good*....[p]Bob V
  • Love Handles
    Options
    Borders,
    I use simple green full strength and a short bristle brush to clean the outside of mine. You could also use lacquer thinner for the gooey stuff, but simple green usually works fine. For the inside, I just use a little putty knife and a fine wire brush if things start getting out of control. See-Yaa

• Ogre
    Ogre Posts: 7
    Options
    Borders,[p] No, but I dont wash my hair either. It's self-cleaning, like my egg, for the most part. However, in case of sufficient build up of soot or grease, in my hair or my egg, carefully scrubbing usually alleviates my troubles. Works with the ladies too, unless they go for greasy and sooty guys. [p] Ogre[p][p]