Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's & Queso Blanco

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In light of Nature Boy's queso blanco mini-thread below, I was thinking of using slices of queso blanco as the filling for ABT's. Anybody tried it?[p]Ken

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    No, I haven't tried it. But I just thought I'd mention a Greek non-melting cheese that's very good. It's called Halloumi, and it sounds like what Chris described. I have pan-seared and grilled it; the smoke is what makes it good, IMHO.
    Cheers,
    G.

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I use Queso Blanco regularily in ABT's. I shop at a Mexican Market (Ley Super Market in Rocky Point) that has fresh strips of Quesso Blanco Lite. Sort of looks like string cheese. I just cut the strips to length and it makes stuffing very easy. The cheese has an excellent flavor balance with the peppers and bacon.

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo Ken,
    A little reference first. From a much ignored post I did on the grill forum.
    In Mexico a chunk of grilled panela cheese would also be served. Panela has a very high melting point but it is not commonly available in this country.
    Anyway...panela is the type and queso blanco is the brand name. I did buy some panela at a hispanic market in Boise Idaho one time. It is really good grilled brushed, w/ a little oil (I like yall's acronym for olive oil (EVOO??))and a sprinkle of oregano.
    In abt's even after cooking it would still be the same chunk you cut off so I don't think it would work so hot.
    Regards
    DTM

[ul][li]Most ignored post.[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    DTM,[p]Thanks for the correction, and the suggestion. It's good to know there are friendly folks like you "minding the net" when folks like me fall off the wire.[p]Ken
  • Love Handles
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I just got back from ElGolfo Mexico and we made some ABT's while down there with some cheese I got from a local market. It was white and kinda soft, but didn't have a name on it and my spanish isn't so good, so I don't know if it was what you guys are talking about. Just cut it in chunks and put it in the jalapenos with some fresh garlic and topped with bacon. The cheese melted pretty good and they were excellent. See-Yaa

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]Big help you are, Mike! LOL [p]I only hope you ate my share too.[p]Ken
  • Love Handles
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Guess what, I found out what we put in our jalapenos was GOAT CHEESE! Well, it was good anyway. By the way I do know some spanish. Mas Cervesas Por Favor--See-Yaa