Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

redo - salt crusted rib roast - YES

Options
SteveinTN
SteveinTN Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is my redo on my previous salt crusted prime rib. You might recall last time my remote thermometer did not work and I let it over cook waiting on the alarm to beep.

The redo about 5 lbs cooked indirect at 325.

Terry making the salt crust
IMG_0558.jpg

Crusted bone in rib roast on egg - notice this time I have two thermometers going
IMG_0562.jpg

Here is the funny part. About 45 min into the cook, the two thermometers (brand new) were reading 20 degrees different. Then one if them started to go up and down in temp So I opened the egg and checked with the thermopen. It read a temp 15 degrees lower than the one remote thermometer. The second remote thermometer was jumping all over the place. So I let it cook for about a total of 90 min. I pulled it at 120 degrees. We let it rest for 30 minutes. It was a little on the rare side. But that was OK after my last disaster.

IT WAS GREAT!

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I want to see some sliced pics!!!
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    yes,
    i left out the most important picture

IMG_0566.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I like that cook. When I seen Alton Brown do it with a beef loin and eat a bite I could taste it right through the TV set.

How was the meat. Good and juicy? Was it tender? It looks very good. :P

I wonder if a person could hot tub then sear then crust.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve...Glad to see you tried it again!! Great job...glad the first time didn't scare you off... ;) Always nice when a posted cook can influence somebody else to try something new.... :)
  • nowonder
    Options
    That looks fantastic! Sorry your first one didn't work out so well...

Can you post (or link to) a recipe? I'd love to try this out...

--nw
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    LC, Can you post how you did your rib roast ? I would like to try your method of how you made your Rib roast with the Salt cover.

Thanks.

Gary
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    SteveinTN wrote:

Here is the funny part. About 45 min into the cook, the two thermometers (brand new) were reading 20 degrees different. Then one if them started to go up and down in temp So I opened the egg and checked with the thermopen. It read a temp 15 degrees lower than the one remote thermometer. The second remote thermometer was jumping all over the place.

I've run into that a couple of times over the years if I use a probe thermometer that doesn't have a high temperature probe on it. They don't seem to be able to take the temperatures of a grill. Look for one with a rating of around 375 C/700 F. I killed several pricey Williams-Sonoma ones (fortunately replaced free) before realizing the problem.

Oh, and the roast looks incredible!!!
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Gary...Here you go.... I did not make an actual salt "dough"....just used enough egg whites to hold the salt together like wet sand, and patted it on. Mixed quite a bit of fresh finely chopped rosemary, thyme and garlic in the salt as well... Here is the previous post....

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=756720&catid=1

Since this was the first time we did this, it was a true experiment. I recommended after this post that there was NO need for the higher temp at the beginning, keeping the entire cook at 325* indirect.

Hope this is what you were looking for....and hope it helps encourage you to try it.... ;)
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    yes - getting out of the box ideas is one of the best things about the forum.
    steve
  • Cajunegger
    Options
    that's one good lookin' piece of meat. wish i was invited!!

shannon
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    the meat was FANTASTIC! It is a real keeper.
  • Flathead egghead
    Options
    Looks great! I also did a PR tonight-my first. Used the same settings as you did. I had a 5.5 lb roast and covered it with garlic salt, coarse salt, and pepper mixed in with several egg whites. After getting it to a paste I patted it all around the roast and then put it in an aluminum pan and covered it loosely with foil. After taking it out at 115(the green egg instant read said 102) I let rest for 20 minutes. During that time I set up for direct and ran the egg up to 550. Took the salt off during the 20 minutes and then put back on the egg for a good sear-about
    1 to 2 min a side-and good looks. It was great eating-medium rare. I think the next time I will try a slower cook at about 250 but 325 got it done in about 90 minutes.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    That looks good steve. Glad it turned out well for you this time.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP