Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning your stone / platesetter?

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I cooked a pizza last night for my children, then decided to try calzones for the wife and I. Well, apparently I had some pork fat from my last batch of boston butt and had extra flames to contend with.

I've seen posts on here where people do a high heat burn to clean up the pizza stone/plate setter/egg. I'm not really a fan of doing that, so I was wondering if I could use soap and water on my stones or if that would hurt them?

I wound up doing a high heat burn last night and lost my gasket in the process (it was about to go anyway), so I'm all clean now, but I'm wondering whats another way to clean the stones?

The calzones came out ok, think they need to cook at a lower temp and for longer than a pizza b/c the inside ingredients were crucnhy (specifically the brocolli).

thanks

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    High temp burn is the way to go. Now that your gasket is gone, replace it with Nomex or some other gasket better suited for high temps (we use Cotronix and love it). Then the high temp burn offs won't be such a concern. ;) A drip pan is the preferred pro-active approach to keeping the setter clean...and some also wrap in foil.
    Remember the ceramics are porous....using soap will likely leave soap residue inside the ceramic. :pinch:
    (you might also consider blanching hard ingredients like brocolli before putting in your calzone to help hasten the cooking time of the fillings for next time)
    Wish you the best!! Happy Eggin! :)
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    water only...no soap. For the same reason that you never clean your cast iron cookware with soap...it holds the flavor and will forever taint the iron/ceramic.

The preferred method would be a simple high temp burn...nothing too extreme...just leave it at 500 for an extra 1/2 hour or so. I always keep an old putty knife near the egg...and scrape the burnt bits off with that. If necessary I take a clean sponge and water in the sink...but I don't have to do that very often. My pizza stone and plate setter don't appear clean...but they are clean if you know what i mean.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    No, please no soap. Use a food scraper to scrape off any crusted on stuff. The rest will just have to burn off on subsequent cooks if you don't want to do high heat. 500 degrees for an extended period of time will help.
    The Naked Whiz