Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Math/ meat geniuses - help me w the "danger zone"

AlaskanCAlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited 3:14AM in EggHead Forum
So I started two big pork butts at about 2 in the afternoon yesterday - I had them at a dome temp of about 275 -290 all day. I checked on it before going to bed and it seemed to be falling and was at about 250. Like an idiot, I thought oh well and tapped her open just a little more to bring up the temp then went to bed.
I rarely take internal temps on meat like that, cuz its just done when its done - so I don't know what temp the meat was, but it had been cooking at 275-290 for 8 hours or so before I did my last check.
anyhoo - so I get up this morning at 8 and the egg is out ( found out why, and it is no fault of the egg.....just a ditzy me).

So last time I checked was at about 11pm and it was 250. I got up at 8am and it was out, and the meat was partially frozen and the outside temp is 23 degrees.

what say all of you?
·

Comments

• Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    AlaskanC....I am usually the FIRST to say pitch it....but I must be honest, in this case, to go from an estimated 170*+ to partially frozen in less than 9 hours, I believe it is safe to eat. Perhaps a 250* oven and be sure the butt internal temp exceeds 160* before eating, I feel comfortable saying you are good to go.
    Danger zone is 40*-140* for longer than 2 hours....I do not feel since it reduced in temp enough to partially freeze, that it stayed in that zone for very long.
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    I am thinking you passed through the danger zone and started the cool down period. 140-70 in four hours, 70 to < 40 in the next two hours. Considering it will take a bit to get to 140 and more to get to a frozen state you are safe.
    ·
  • AlaskanCAlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    whew...... ok good... I am also a pitch it person but I wanted to check first!
    Thanks!
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Just make sure you exceed 160* on the reheat before serving please.... :)
    ·
    I will have Brent try the first sandwich. :)

But I agree - I think we are safe, and next time I will load the egg up to the top of the fire ring when Im doing a long cook instead of the middle of the fire box. :pinch:
    ·
    will do. This time I will take the temp of the meat B)
    ·
  • I had the same thing happen to me last night, just not as extreme and of course the forum was down. I built another fire and put them back on and everything is good.
    ·