Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Results/First Long Cook

Options
Tanya
Tanya Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted ya'll to know my pulled pork turned out great! Had to add lump around 3:00 in the morning but I've decided I didn't have enough to start with. After that it stayed right on the mark around 225. I pulled it at 18 hours and it was absolutely delicious! And fun to pull and shred too! Loved it and was worth the lost sleep! Used a bottle of sauce one of our kids got me for Christmas and it was very good on the plain white hamburger buns. Yummy! Still had plenty of time to do wings before the game. Also did the german potato salad and slaw from Elder Ward. It was very good. I wanted to thank all ya'll who helped me out on my first slow cook. Appreciated the help!

Comments

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Tanya,
    Glad to hear it turned out great. Pulled pork is my wife's favorite but I did not cook it that often because of the lost sleep. Then I purchased a BBQ Guru. With the Guru, the temp stays at 225° and I never have to worry about checking the temp every few hours.[p]

[ul][li]The Guru[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Chainsmoker
    Options
    Tanya,
    they get easier with a little practice!
    Ryan

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Tanya,[p]Congratulations...! I love doing the long, low, slow cooks. I still wake up and check on things through the night, but I'm more confident now after having my eggs for a few years, so there's much less stress than in the very beginning. I'd do one every weekend if my freezer could hold all the leftovers...(and we even bought a new freezer for Christmas last year)![p]Welcome to the family...
    Tonia
    :~)

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tanya, did you ever figure out about starting the fire with the chimney in the Elder Ward method? I would have sworn it's not there but actually it is. You were absolutely right. However, the fistful of lump is for starting the coals in the chimney not the total amount of lump you put in the firebox. Filling the firebox up to the fire ring of the large is enough to last 18 hours. In a medium it will last about 14.

• Wise One
    Options
    QBabe, I tried out my mom's BBQ recipe with some pulled pork and pulled chuck roast I did last weekend. This is not your traditional BBQ sammich but is really good for something different.[p]Mom's Barbeque - redone

This is my mother's recipe and has served many a church function. It should only be eaten as a sandwich.
    [p]Ingredients
    2 lbs pork (butt)
    2 lbs beef (chuck roast)
    1 1/4 cup worchestershire
    1 1/2 cup ketchup (small bottle)
    2 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup hot sauce (Texas Pete)
    2 cups chopped onion (about 3 medium onions)
    1 16 oz can beef broth (can be omitted if cooking meat in water)

Procedure
    1 Cook beef and pork until tender. (if cooking in water reserve liquid.)
    2 Shred the pork and beef by hand discarding bones, fat, and other non-delicious parts.
    3 Put onions, worchestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, onions, hot sauce and beef broth (or reserved liquid) in a large pot and stir until thoroughly mixed over medium heat.
    4 Place meat in pot and stir to mix in. Reduce heat to simmer and allow to simmer for 2-3 hours.
    5 Serve on sandwich (hamburger) buns.

[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Thanks, Bill...sounds yummy![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• Wise One
    Options
    QBabe, it's great where all you want to do is to put a sandwich or two and some chips on a plate for a large group. No sauces to worry with and it is good.

• Tanya
    Tanya Posts: 87
    Options
    Wise One, I had filled the lump to the top of the fire box and not the top of the ring so I think I just didn't have enough lump to start with. Once I added the lump it did fine.