Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Time

EggoholicEggoholic Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing 26lb turkey for Family at Thanksgiving, smoking it at 265 or 270ish, how long will it take?
Thanks
·

Comments

• ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,308
    may be a little rubbery at that temp, consider cranking the temp up to 350 & cook it till it's 160 degrees
    ·
  • thanks
    ·
  • any eta of time
    ·
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    12-15 minutes per pound,but cook to temp,not time ;)
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,308
    doug is correct, which is quite remarkable all things considered :laugh:
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,697
    You need to cook to temp not time, but you also need to have a ballpark for time - especially for Thanksgiving dinner. I have yet to do a turkey on the egg, but when I do, I will certainly check out MadMax's method. Seems very popular around here! He says his 21 lb bird took 6.5-7 hours at 325. Check it out...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·