Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newby---roasting chicken, help!

Options
motordrum
motordrum Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am roasting two whole chickens tonight, i was going to put the chickens directly on the grill with the plate setter underneath. i was thinking 350 for 15-20 min a pound. each one is about 5lbs, should i double the time for two chickens or just figure the time for 5lbs??? any tips would be great. thanks!

Comments

• hayhonker
    Options
    no need to double the time.

Have you tried Spatchcocking?http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • motordrum
    Options
  • RustyEgg
    Options
    I prefer to check for doneness by checking the internal temp. I believe the internal temp for chicken is 180. Or with chicken I'll pierce the thigh to make sure the juice that runs out is clear. If its pink it needs more time in the grill. I also rub the outside of whole chickens with a butter paste seasoned with some herbs, salt, pepper and garlic.

Enjoy!
    RustyEgg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    do not double the time ! plan on 15 min per pound and then check temp.. 160 breast 180 thigh leg, if you do not have a thermopen ask santa, chanukkah or the winter solstice holiday gift giving entity of your choice to get you one.. it is the first egcessory you need,,
    the bird will be pink at the bone and really moist ,,it is NOT undercooked [providing you cooked to temp} you will be surprised by teh moistness and the redness is marrow leakage cause bird is immature do to corporate farming practices. if you dont have rapid read thermometer figure 20 minutes and make sure the leg wiggles easy
    good luck
  • motordrum
    Options
    perfect! i will let you know how it turns out :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Post pictures if you can. Tim
  • motordrum
    Options
    didnt get a chance to catch a pic cuz my husband cut into it immediately and started eating! it was amazing, so juicy....we used the apple wood chips. however, the skin of the chicken was black. Like black as night, i thought we had burnt it but the flavor of the skin was great, not burnt at all. what did i do wrong? we are doing a turkey (vertical) on thanksgiving and i would really like that nice golden brown color. any suggestions or tips?? thanks!