Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked XL Fire Box

Options
OH Sizzle
OH Sizzle Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So... waiting for my XL to come to temp to cook some pizzas an I hear an unusual pop under the hood of my baby. I open it and can not see any trouble. Next day afterit has cooled I go to take out the baking stone and plate setter only to discover a crack from the top of the fire box to the base of the fire box. Anyone had this problem and any chance they got a replacement from BGE without spending a small fortune?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    happens all the time - Think positive though that relieved the stress in the piece. As for replacement as long as you were the original buyer then that piece is covered by the lifetime warranty - just go back to your dealer. Last night my small egg fire box broke.
    IMG_0792.jpg

Today I walked into my dealer and walked out with a new replacement. OTOH I also will continue to use this old one until it falls apart. I used my large which was in 5 pieces for nearly a year! No harm done as long as the puzzle pieces are all still there!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If you are the original owner and you didn't buy it online tell your dealer it is cracked. The egg has a lifetime warranty.

Ohh Put the new one on a shelf and continue to use the cracked one..
  • OH Sizzle
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I got it as a gift for my birthday and it was shipped to me directly. Do you think that will pose a problem with the warranty? Your looks a little worse off than mine. I just have a 1/4 in wide seam down the side. It won't hurt the extreior shell to cook with it still?
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Is the warranty on the individual part?

I bought my egg over the internet so, no warranty. I purchased a replacement firebox from a local dealer. So, is that part now warrantied?
  • RRP
    Options
    I can't answer that - hopefully one of the many dealers who lurk here will jump in.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Yep - Discovered last week.
    IMG_0362800x600.jpg

My original dealer is a 10 hour drive. I reckon it's cracked as a result of hoop streses :blink: and now that the hoop stresses have been relieved it is happy and we'll continue to cook with the FB as is.
  • RRP
    Options
    shipped direct? sounds like it may have been bought on the internet...if so then the warranty is void. Sorry, some times cheaper prices carry lifetime short falls and what might have been a savings of a hundred bucks will be lost on paying for replacement pieces.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Frank, any authorized dealer should be able to help!
    My dealer said she registered it with the Mothership when it was sold to me, and all inquiries go back there. They just wanted a photo for proof when my fire ring then my fire box cracked. No hassle, except my dealer had to wait for an order to come in from 3/4 across the country before I got the firering. Picked up the fire box in Denver since the area rep was there and knew about the order back in Atlanta. :woohoo:
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Cracks happen. I have a good sized crack as well. If you use JB Weld you can put it back together again. Not to worry though cracks happen. If you desire you can always buy another one.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    DOA - No doubt I can get it replaced under warranty but as long as it works as is, I'm happy. :)

Can always replace it later if necessary. :)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: that's sure true! Ought to see the firebox on Car Wash Mikie's SMALL BGE :whistle: like one of those Egyptian Pyramid puzzles :woohoo: Bruce from BGE Atlanta could hardly fit it back together again :ohmy:
    But it still cooked some great food at the Denver after the after party :evil: