Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! My lid is welded shut!

Options
Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need help. I went out to start up the large for a set of baby back ribs and i could not get the lid open. I don't think it is frozen, Been above freezing for three or four days straight.;) Last month I replaced the original gasket (or what was left of it, being about three years old) and last week did my first high temp cook/clean. This is the first time I have tried to cook on it since then. Any suggestions? As of this time, I think the ribs will be reassigned to later in the week.[p]Thanks,
Chipper

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Chipper,
    what did you replace the gasket with? More of the original? If you used a Rutland or some other product did you clean off the old adhesive real good? If not when you did the high temp burn/clean out you may have activated the adhesive and it bonded to your new gasket. Take a putty knife or something similiar and start working it around to separate the dome. IMHO you probably have a 50/50 chance of salvaging your new gasket.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chipper
    Options
    RRP,
    Sorry, I failed to metion, but yes it was the original type felt gasket. I did take my time cleaning off the old gasket (paint scrapper, wire brush and rubbing alcohol) and thought that I had gotten it all off. At this point, I am not as concerned about saving the gasket, I may go ahead and replace it with something better. Thanks!

• ranger ray
    Options
    Chipper,
    if all else fails you can easily cut through the gasket using piano wire(availible at most auto shops).....what you do is hold a length of wire in your hands and make a sawing motion....pulling the wire back and forth...kinda like you're flossing.... this is how good windshields are removed from their frames when at the junkyard(auto recycler).. if you can't find piano wire ,,, apiece of rusty old thin wire should work just as well...the felt's not too tough...