Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

today's MAD MAX TIP - BASTE THAT BIRD!!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
here's today's tip gang. . .basting the bird... do it... and do it often!!. ..and yes, i know it runs counter to everything we teach about keeping the dome of the egg closed....may be why my birds take longer to cook than most because i open the dome a lot and it lets the heat out.. . but i think the trade-off is worth it....

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/mmtip04-27.htm

(also, i include a sample menu, the sweet potato list is still my old from when i used to do the old casserole, not the current wok version with the apples)...

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Thanks again for taking the time to do this Max. I see that you're making mashed potatoes and dressing. I like the ingredients you're using in them. Are those recipes listed anywhere?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mashed taters are easy....for about 5 pounds of spuds, add one full stick of cream cheese and about a pint of sour cream (more if you want them creamier). .. salt and pepper to taste...thats it. ...our favorite way to make mashed taters...

the stuffing is a giada recipe... ever since we first made it i won't do it any other way, its that good!!. .. here it is:

Ciabatta Stuffing with Chestnuts and Pancetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    See this recipe on air Friday Nov. 19 at 11:00 AM ET/PT.
    Show: Everyday Italian

Episode: Italian Thanskgiving

Check out these features:

Travel tips

Cooking videos

Shop now

Holiday ideas

Exclusive cookie recipes

ADVERTISEMENT

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
    8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    3 celery stalks, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 (7.4-ounce) jars roasted peeled whole chestnuts, coarsely broken
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1 pound day-old ciabatta bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1 cup (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs, beaten to blend
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Butter a 15 by 10 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a large bowl. Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, and garlic. Saute until the onions are very tender, about 12 minutes. Gently stir in the chestnuts and parsley. Transfer the onion mixture to the large bowl with the pancetta. Add the bread and Parmesan and toss to coat. Add enough broth to the stuffing mixture to moisten. Season the stuffing, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mix in the eggs.
    Transfer the stuffing to the prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down, and bake until the stuffing is heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Thanks Max! That ciabatta stuffing looks like a winner. Gotta love Giada! I know Del does. :)
  • Max, Wanted to say Thanks for changing my life! Did your Turkey last year and it was Amazing!! Kicking my self for not introducing my self at Eggfest but it was my first time and I was awe struck by being surrounded by Greatness!
  • when are you going to post a primer on how to dry age your turkey, max?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    So......you can't just hang'em from the rafters in an old sock? :ermm:
  • yes, you could. just need to salt it first.
  • How do you make the ham that it requires coffee grounds in the list of ingredients? Is there a master list with all the recipes somewhere?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey thanks Max.

If I may ask a question or two.

I plan on cooking a 20+ pound turkey the Mad Max way and...

I started the thawing process last Sunday Nov. 8, 2009.
    What I mean is this turkey has been in the deep freeze for at least a year. I took my turkey out of my deep freezer and placed it in my spare fridge in my garage. I think the fridge is about 36*. The turkey is in a cryovac so do you think it will be ok to cook on tgiving day? That would be a total of 17 days and maybe 5 of those days thawing out. Do you think there is a chance for spoilage?

Assuming the turkey is fine and in a roasting pan ready to cook when I get around to puting it in the egg will the bird be setting out with ice packs on it or back in the fridge? thanks,Tim
  • Natedog
    Options
    That's the same way we do mashed potatoes. They are excellent.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks...I'm drooling with anticipation! :)
    Jon
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Hey there Max.

I have a question for you. Over the years have you settled on a particular kind of white wine in you bird. I have a choice of a Chardonnay or a Pinot Grigio. I am leaning towards the Pinot. Or have you found out that the only thing that matters is to use a wine that you like?
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sorry to butt in Zaius, but I vote for neither unless it is a high end Chard. An Italian or Spanish mid level white selection is sooo much better. I assume that the better a wine drinks, the better it is with the recipe....
    Also, there is a budget white on the market..."Oakley Four Whites" which is $8-$10 per bottle and puts most average Chards and any Pinot Grigio to shame...IMO
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    to be honest i use any old cheap white table wine. ..the flavor is way in the background....i typically am using a chardonay or chablis. .. but to also be in full disclosure, i'm not a wine drinker, so i wouldn't know a good bottle of high end wine from a bottle of ripple....i just know to use 'drinking' wine and not 'cooking' wine ....so my best advice is to simply use what you would drink, and you will be fine...
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    typically you start thawing a frozen bird a few days prior to thanksgiving. ..not sure you are doing the right thing or not. ..but given that your fridge is at 36 degrees, you may be ok. ...you'll sure know when you pop the cryovac and take whif though. .. .sorry, can't be much more help than that on this one....
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    google "dr. chicken's double smoked ham" for the recipe. .. there is a small amount of coffee grounds in the glaze. .. .its very very good. . .