Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best fried turkey recipe

ovo
ovo Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since the egg just won't fit in the back of the minivan, I'll have to fry the turkey again this year. We've done this before but have yet to the perfect rub/marinade. Any suggestions? Thanks, Lewis

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Good luck!I have fried many a turkey.Never impressive.Better outta the oven and much better and MUCH less trouble than fried IMHO! :)
  • solon
    solon Posts: 25
    We smoke one on the Large BGE and fry one. Here is a great marinade to inject the bird to be fried the night before:

Maple syrup= 1/2 c.
    apple cider= 2 c.
    all spice= 1 tbsp.
    cajun spice= 1 tbsp.
    garlic= 6 cloves
    sage= 1/2 bunch
    lemon juice= 4 each
    orange juice= 2 each
    olive oil= 1 c.
    salt & pepper= to taste
    Blend all ingredients for about 5 mins. or until fine purre.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    OVO, I fry 10+ turkeys/year and have had very little luck with any type of rub sticking to the bird. Looks great going in the oil but washes right off. I inject each with a pint of creole garlic butter made by Tony Ch
    . Birds always come out moist and very flavorful and folks seem to enjoy them. Good luck with yours. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • EggieG
    EggieG Posts: 81
    I'm going to give the marinade a shot this year.
    thanks for sharing.
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    The first one I ever fried I injected it with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter Marinade. I inject it the day before I'm going to cook it. Normally, I get enough leakage for salt and pepper to stick to the skin. I've used other seasoning, but the skin is rather flavorful without doing a whole lot to it.

Have always received rave compliments on the taste of meat and skin.

But this year - the cooker stays locked up so I can see what results I get on the EGG!
  • solon
    solon Posts: 25
    Because of teh sage - it has a strange green color but it is good. Developed by my daughter's boyfirend - an executive chef.
  • I always rub under the skin to get the rub to stay.

Just use a generic rub and inject with a decent premade injection and all will be good.
  • ovo
    ovo Posts: 11
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • EggieG
    EggieG Posts: 81
    The injection as a hit at our feast. Thanks for sharing.