Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay, here\'s a question for everyone...

Options
Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
(just curious how y'all would answer this): Suppose you are hosting a lot of friends/family members at your house for a meal, nobody of whom has ever tasted food from a BGE before (basically has never even heard of a BGE). And lets say you can only prepare just ONE type of food (ribs, steak, chicken, etc.) on the egg for everyone to eat/enjoy. With all that in mind, what would you cook and why? Again, you only get one choice here...none of this "well, its a tie between x and x..." stuff.

FWIW, I'd go with good ole' pork spare ribs. Though I've gotten compliments on everything I've cooked on the BGE (even my pizzas of late have been a big hit), spare ribs seem to have been the show stopper, or basically the home run hitter in which it causes people to want to immediately go out and buy their own BGE.

I'm looking forward to the replies...

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I've always thought that the best way to show off the egg and indroduce others to it was to just cook a simple hamburger using top quality beef, seasonings and condiments. Prepared and cooked properly with a sear and dwell, there is no other cooker out there that can replicate that flavor. The idea being that if the egg can make a hamburger taste that good, they can imagine what it would do for steaks, ribs and chicken................ :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I agree with the ribs but is the crowd one that would be happy with one item? Sit down dinner or buffet by the pool with kids etc? I might go 2 entrees and do chicken pieces also.
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    For me it would be spatchcocked chicken. Being a fairly new egger I made hamburgers, ribs, pork chops, all the usual and they all tasted great. But when I did my first spatchcocked chicken, oh boy, that took the prize. Lamb Chops second, Pork Chops third. Have fun.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Lamb has impressed me more than anything else. Olive wood for smoke.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Ribs do make a great first impression....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Seems to me that, once you get the hang of this thing, pretty much everything you cook on it tastes good. So what you cook for your friends would depend on what you think you have had the most success with, the number of people you're cooking for, their tastes and your budget. Oh, and the amount of time you have.

A nice inch and a half NY Strip would probably be my choice because most people like steak and that is probably the best cook I've done. OTOH, the equally thick pork chop was real good too. And the marinated chicken thighs. Oh, and the spatched game hens. And the pork butt, And..........

I have only done ribs a couple of times and frankly, I need to work on those. But if that's what YOU do well, then there's your answer. Nobody doesn't like ribs.

But it's all good. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I think Spatchcock chicken because it is in my opinion so much better than any chicken they will have tasted and so easy too, which is helpful.

Doug
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    My vote, Mad Max Turkey, and nothing else!
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I would do the ribs, couple a different rubs and some sauced, some not.

That being said I'm doing 4 butts for Saturday after Tgiving for a birthday party, guess I'm contradicting myself B)
  • Fire Walker
    Options
    Cook what you know if its ribs then cook ribs if its pulled beef or pork then thats what you should have. Your friends and family have no reference point anything you decide on will be perfect and if you cook what you know the stress of a failed cook will not be a factor and you come across as a cool top chef, everyone has a good time. A Large group is no place for experimentation.
    FireWalker
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    I cooked 6 chicken halves for my wife's work a month ago and they still talk about how good it was --I'II say chicken
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I would go with Rib Eye Steaks. The EGG does a great job when making steak. Also chicken, either Spatchcock chicken and/or chicken wings. Better yet, chicken wings for an appetizer and Steak for the meal..

Gary
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    You can do 6 or more racks of with a raised grid

Ross
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Wings

101_2977.jpg

quick, easy, cheap and they can be made with several different spices and sauces for everyones tastes.
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    Do a butt and pull it if you have the time. If you want to demonstrate while all your guests are present. Ribeyes are great with different rubs.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Brisket and burnt ends
  • it always amazed me at the first eggfests i ever went to that people were really impressed with my italian stuffed flank steak rolls... .heck, they even made it into dr.bbq's second cook book. ..so i'd have to go with those as my number one choice to impress people..
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    Corning game hens are great on the egg
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Lamb Lollys! Tough to beat!
  • whtfarmer
    Options
    If money is no object, just by a big old rib eye and cut the steaks about two inches thick. You can't go wrong.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    My son says butt or leg qtrs.
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    pork tenderloin
    then make several dipping sauces
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    So to break the rules I have three - here's the thinking:

My first thought - spatchcock chicken, nice and simple, something they would have previously thought about doing in the oven and goes down well with kids too.

Then I thought of hot smoked salmon - shows the ability to play with the smoke and people (in the UK) are comfortable with salmon being smoked (albeit lox)

Thirdly I thought of a beef rib roast - to show that the egg is worthy of expensive cuts of meat.

(one of my favourites is kebabs but they can be done on any grill)

So the one to do in my book is spatchcock chicken - very simple and don't use smoke.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I vote for things they would likely cook on their own grill (probably a gasser). Then they would be able to compare.

I would cook a variety including snacks (ABT's, Meatballs, Wings, Sliders, etc), a butt for pulled pork sandwiches (cook and store in Food Saver Bags to be warmed when ready), Chicken (definitely Spatchcocked), Salmon (simply because they probably never had it taste so good), Lamb (if they normally don't eat it because they just never try it) and veggies that can be done quickly after the meat comes off.

Steak doesn't take long so you might throw on a couple of steaks which you can cut into cubes and serve as samples. They will go nuts over that.

Then do a pie in it for later.

And if you have a second Egg you might even bake some bread while all this is going on.

If you really want to impress them, do a Mad Max Turkey.

Just my thoughts.

Spring "Cook What They Cook, Only Better" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • rex clingan
    Options
    Espinazo -- pork backbone from butcher counter in Latino market, rubbed with a good Italian sausage seasoning, and spritzed with Jarritos de Guayaba.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Still making them several times a year Max. Had Ctit's girlfriend's family over awhile back and made them with king crab twice baked potatos and fresh beans. They loved it. Great recipe.
  • Roanokesmoke
    Options
    they look great----you have a recipe for those?