Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever try buckboard venison?

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wheels got spinning tonight and I am considering taking a backstrap and making kind of a hybrid venison Candian style bacon.

Anyone ever try it? Thirdeye?

I'm going to have a pantload of jerky and sticks....just looking for something new/different to try with one of the loins.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Don't waste a backstrap!Do a hindquarter!BTW,we have coolers(walk-in)on site.Do you hang venison for the aging process skinned or skin on?They are much easier to skin fresh.Just wondering. :huh:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I wouldn't use a backstrap for that, although the idea is intriguing. If you want, I'll help you get rid of that ole nasty backstrap. :whistle: Sounds like you got your kill after all, Congrats bro!
  • Fidel
    Options
    The hams will be jerky and the shoulders are all going to be stew meat that I will grind and make my own sausage.

I'm planning on taking a few more before the season is out, so I'm not really "wasting" anything.

I'm doing a wild boar hunt next month in south Georgia, so maybe I'll save the buckboard experiment for one of those hogs.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Our season (gun)opens Saturday.Bowhunters got one doe,youth weekend was last week.They only took one.The biologist says we MUST harvest 20 does,up to 30.What about the cooling,aging thing?Skin on or off.Skinned fresh is much easier.We prize backstraps.Try the BBB on the oinker.JMHO! ;)
  • Fidel
    Options
    Mine is hanging in the cooler for 10 days. I gutted it and put it in the cooler skin on.
  • Hoss
    Options
    That's what I was wondering.You seem to have Eggsperience with this.I wanna process some of my own venison sausage this year.I have the cooler space just did not have any egsperience with aging,skin on or off.I just know last year I left one hanging with skin on a few days and it was a byatch to skin.I wanna do some 2 week aging this year.All suggegtions appreciated! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't done that. Frankly, I'm not sure If I would experiment with something that only comes around once a year.

However, I've had wonderful success with Buckboarded chops.... so why not do a 24 hour cure on a couple of 5/8" thick backstrap steaks? I would use a 4 hour soak-out and a 4 hour rest, then lightly season with pepper and grill them.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Not on a fawn you woudn't :laugh: :ohmy:

Just a quick sear B)
  • Hoss
    Options
    I have a walk-in cooler on site.Would you hang meat(venison) skin on or skin off?I'm wantin to go a week or more on the hangin.Then I wanna grind some for sausages and other stuff. :huh:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I think you would end up with something more like corned beef or pastrami and that would be excellent.

I make Canadian bacon from pork loin and I think that the back strap would be excellent.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hide off. And 5 days would be a minimum hang time, so if you are going to 7 that would work fine. With elk or eoose, folks like 10 to 12 days, but they have more body weight than a deer.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    ;) need some help gettin a "few" antelope??? :evil:
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I've made it out of the hindquarter (our deer are tiny - our hindquarters are probably the size of your deer's backstrap).

I also made pastrami out of a hindquarter roast. It was pretty good!

geeez I need to get our boat finished so I can get out there & get a few before the season ends!!