Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cavenders Greek Seasoning

hinsongolf
hinsongolf Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any good recipes for this product.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    At a friends recommendation, I've tried it on baked salmon . . . different and tasty.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Don't have a specific recipe, but my friend who moved to Florida in the mid '70's from Arkansas, brought Cavenders from Arkansas where she grew up. It is made there. Wasn't until many years later could she buy it in Florida.
    We use it in a pot of ham/beans, gumbo, stews, poultry seasoning for a rub on the BGE, mix with balsamic vinegar, EVOO and Cavenders for a nice salad dressing and the list keeps growing. Give it a try if you have not yet!

http://www.cavendersseasoning.com/recipe.htm
  • I like it. I use it to compliment other seasonings too. I use it on chicken a lot with Adobo. :)
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    mix 50/50 with Tony Chachere's. Good on Chicken
  • We use it on kabobs all the time.
  • I always use it on roasted chickens, it's my go-to rub for that.

but it must be good on other stuff, I just haven't tried it yet.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Best chicken,turkey rub you will find ANYWHERE!I mix it with other rubs and use it on almost everything.BTW you have mail :)B)
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    It is absolutely my favorite seasoning. My family got hooked on it when I was a child. I have never used it as a rub but use it all the time at the table in place of salt and pepper. I can hardly enjoy a steak or baked potato without it. My wife carries some in her purse when we go to a restaurant. About the only thing I don't use some on is Italian dishes.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • The Greek seasoning on spatchcock is the best.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    My favorite recipe with Cavenders is ...believe it or not!...brussels sprouts. I cut up half a pound of bacon and fry it with an onion cut in halves and sliced thin., half-moons. Halfway through, I add 2 bags of FROZEN sprouts, pepper and plenty of Cavenders. Don't drain the bacon grease! Medium heat, stirring occasionly for 15 mins,or so, then reduce to a simmer until the sprouts are soft, 20-30 mins. Add more Cav., to taste, halfway though. The sprouts will nearly fall apart. Wonderful stuff :) This makes an excellent side, or a meal in itself.
  • Until I discovered Dizzy Pig rubs, we used tons of Cavenders. Still our most used seasoning. We have it with and without salt.
    We used it on salads, eggs, veggies.

Saute'd seafood:

Pat fish, scallops, or shrimp dry. Liberal coating of Cavenders. Let sit for a couple of minutes, then drop in bag with flour and lightly coat. Saute in skillet with butter and or EVOO. When flip, add minced garlic plus white wine or lemon juice to the skillet. Enjoy a great Greek-style seafood dinner. THe best!

Steaks:

1/4 cup EVOO
    1/4 cup Worchestershire
    2 heaping tsp Cavenders
    1-2 tsp minced garlic
    juice of 1/2 lemon

Place the above in a ziplock bag, add steak. Marinade while grill is getting hot. Remove an grill as usual (NOT TRex technique). No other seasoning needed.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    That sounds good, Clark!