Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade BBQ Sauce for ribs

Options
hinsongolf
hinsongolf Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good one?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    It's extremely hard to beat this one!

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe.
    Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectacular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans.
    When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone.
    So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing marguerites and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe.
    You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components.
    This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts.
    Mix in big pot over low heat
    1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bouillon strong
    6 Cups H20
    When sugars dissolve, add
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right!
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    3 6 oz cans tomato paste
    2 TBS Kitchen Bouquet to darken
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno. (RRP here…I just use 1 tea of chipotle and 2 TBS of chili powder)
    Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.
    This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!
    Mike Flaherty

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 8 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard, So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do. I always give a bottle of it to an elderly neighbor couple who call it “Ron’s Sassy Sauce”.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Great stuff..I always keep some on hand!
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce is great. I sometimes use chipolte powder in place of the chilli powder.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I am going to make this. Thanks vmuch for posting it.
  • hinsongolf
    Options
    Thanks I will definitely try this.

Rory