Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

How much Turley?

wannabebackinTexaswannabebackinTexas Posts: 162
edited 12:53PM in EggHead Forum
I've used Max's method for several years with GREAT success. This year I'm going to have a few more people at the table and won't know the exact count until next week, and would like to buy my turkey earlier than next week. About how many pounds (or fractions there of) per person should one plan on for purchasing
the turkey? Thanks!

Good eggin'

• YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Hope this helps.

10 - 14 lbs - feeds 6 to 8 people
    16 - 20 lbs - feeds 9 to 12 people
    20 - 24 lbs - feeds 13 to 16 people
    24 - 28 lbs - feeds 17 to 19 people
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,937
    Cook the largest that will fit the BGE.
    Leftovers are always great.
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    1.5 pounds per person
  • Thanks guys! You are all always a great help. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Good egg'n-

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    Man you really like left overs don't you??
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    The standard is 1 pound per person with a 12-14 pound bird. 3/4 pound per person on birds over 14 pounds. Course his does assume that you will have a good ratio of dark to white meat eaters. Larger birds have more dark meat.

Personally I like fresh birds in the 14 pound range. If I need to I cook more than one. Cooked 5 yesterday and the biggest was 15.58 pounds.
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    Yep it is good....
  • And there is the advantage to multiple eggs. An option us peasants do not have :pinch:

• I like left-overs too :) !!! So the more the better in my mind.
    But for the record, “Food for Fifty” (my go to source when I’m cooking big) says 1 lb. / person.