Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thanksgiving Help

hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
edited 3:00AM in EggHead Forum
I have been chosen to provide the turkey on Thanksgiving. I need a fairly simple recipe. I apologize if this has been beat to death. Someone might just post a link for me if possible.

I am considering brining the night before and getting up early to start my cook. I/we like a good smokey bird. I am also considering stuffing with boudin.....so any pointers are appreciated.
·

Comments

• here is a link to mad max turkey central

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/madmaxcentral.htm

it really doesn't get any simpler than this ...you can control the smokey flavor simply by how much wood you add to your fire ...want it smokey? add more wood .. .

but if you want it simple, don't bother brining. . .if you follow my technique, you don't need to brine as it will be plenty moist. . .

and as for stuffing the bird, i recomend putting the aromatics in the bird...and if you want the bird smokey, stuffing (wet bread) will absorb A LOT of smoke, so i'd steer away from that..just my opinion...
    ·
  • I have over-smoked turkey and it really effected the taste. I do not use any wood chips or very, very few for turkey anymore. The lump imparts a nice mild smokey flavor in my opinion.
    ·
  • hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
    What is a realistic time table for this cook? I am probably going with about a 14 lb. bird.

How much of the prep can be done the night before and what am I looking at in regards to cook time on T-Day?

We plan on eating at about 2:00 p.m. I am trying to figure out how early I need to get started.
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    At 350 degrees indirect you will need to cook the turkey 12-15 minutes per pound. read Max's tips & recipe...easy, peasy...cook to internal temp not time when doing poultry...
    ·
  • hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
    I'm thinking that making the stock for the gravy the day before would save some time.
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    You can make the stock any time, just do make the gravy. You want the drippings from the bird in the gravy.
    ·
  • I made this on Sunday as a trial run for thanksgiving and it was wonderful

I made a 14lb turkey also The gravy was incredible. It really is easy to make just follow the recipe and your will have a great bird with some of the best gravy u have ever had.
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·