Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mid-West Egg Fest????

Deplesis
Deplesis Posts: 215
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We live in NW Ohio and attended one small Egg Fest in Eastern Indiana (the Amish one). Looking to attend more and meet some more Eggers from the forum. Is anyone aware of other Egg Fest in the Mid-West? Mich. Ind. Pa. Ohio Ky ????
Thanks for the help
RJ

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I hear there's one in Minnesooota.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    On the first Saturday in June, 2010 the 8th annual Peoria (IL) Eggfest will be held. Geographically speaking Peoria is half way between Chicago and St Louis and quite easy to get to via 4 lane interstate highways. In your case hop on 74 and scoot on over!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Deplesis
    Michael,
    Thanks, we'll watch for it and check it out
    RJ
  • Deplesis
    Thanks. Peoria is within driving distance and definely do-able.
    Regards
    RJ
  • RRP
    Great! Ours is a single day event thing of fun and great food. This last year there were 21 eggs smokin. It is located at our local dealer's lot and runs from 8 to 3. Over the years it has drawn eggers clear away as Chicago in the North, Indianapolis in the East, St Louis to the South, and the Quad Cities from the West. OTOH each year we have had some eggers from far far away such as Canada, CT and last year even SNS686 was here from FL although he was in IL visiting. One nice thing about Peoria, IL is being the world HQ of Caterpillar we are more than just a nearby crossroad location of Interstate highways 74 and 55 plus the Illinois river let alone a USA Port of Entry! Besides all that we have a legalized gambling boat that draws visitors from many states!
  • Deplesis
    RRP,
    Thanks for all the info. We'll plan on it. Does your dealer supply pre-sold eggs to cook on or do Eggers bring in their own?
    Thanks
    RJ
  • RRP
    either way - of course our BGE dealer has an incentive sale of like 10% off if you buy an egg in advance of the fest. Either you ask to be the first to cook with it or you can buy it "used this 1 time". What several of us eggers have done over the last 7 years is offer to help newbies learn the ropes on their new BGE that day plus get that great 10% off. There is no entry fee and the public is welcome. If you cook on the egg to share with others our dealer gives you a 20# bag of lump for your effort and to cover your meat/whatever cost. This last year the lump was the infamous Wicked Good! Most of us who egg that day make anywhere from 2 to 4 entrees during the event. It's a FUNFEST - not a contest!
  • Deplesis
    Sounds like a fun day. We'll make the drive.
    Regards,
    RJ
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Sounds good, keep me posted and I will drive from NE Indiana. BTW, a local dealer is presently offering 15% off on all Eggs and accessories in stock. That makes a large BGE $638 + Indiana 7% sales tax.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Don't forget the Eggwegofest in Oswego IL, its a great fest. -RP
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Or the little gathering this February in North Central Minnesota.

Mini Frozen Fest.....see the OT forum ;)
  • RRP
    I didn't forget, Randy! I just wanted to give my dealer in Central IL credit for having HAD their 7th annual one this past June while the Oswego one last Sept was only their 2nd one! Seniority deserves some respect. RIGHT? On top of that "ours" down here in "little ol' Peoria" has just a couple hundred thousand population to draw from vs. millions in population near Oswego to draw from, and what I have first hand experience to observe is we have had far more attendees!
  • Guys we may have to bring back a Chicago Eggfest in 2010! I may have a new location on the lake front, at one of the Yacht clubs! I'll keep you posted.

Jeff
  • Deplesis
    Whoa..Sounds like an Illinois EggFest throwdown
  • Deplesis
    NORTH CENTRAL MINNESOTA IN FEBRUARY :huh: :huh: :huh: That sounds COLD!!!!!!!
    What do you drink to stay warm?
    RJ
  • Deplesis
    Laker,
    Is the dealer with the discount in New Haven In.? I bought my Lg. form him and no one could come close to his prices. He is an Amish guy and he put on a nice little Egg Fest in early Oct. Great guy to deal with,
    Regards,
    RJ
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    The usual still works, but hot drink become a bit more popular. It ain't that bad. Outdoor activities keep you warm. When all fails, just hug an egg. That isn't making a pizza or searing anything at the time.

It a lot like southerners dealing with the heat in the summer. Just alls for different/more clothes.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    First and only eggfest I have been to and had a great time and good drive from Indy see you in June...
    May ask the dealer to throwin a mini to demo on and I will give it a shot. I should be up to speed by June...

E
  • RRP
    It was nice of you and the Mrs. to drive over that day. BTW did your friend (Joe wasn't it?) finally buy an egg? Here's a less than professional FLIP video of the event that I made early on that day before the public really started to roll in. Now that I recall we had 18 eggs plus SNS686 had brought his own from FL. For the dealer it was a great day as they sold like 23 eggs that day!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RRP314#p/a/u/2/JW9omCHV1Rc
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I attended Indianapolis first annual eggfest this past August, 2009. I had a great time but I had to pay $100. to stay overnight in a nice hotel not far from the fest. We just need to find a cheeper place to stay overnight. I am told they will do it again next year. We are waiting on the details. Tim

At the bottom of this post are some pic's of the Indy egg fest. Thats me (in a denum shirt)in the fourth pic down grilling chicken wings on two large eggs.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=721520&catid=1#