Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

transporting a large BGE

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have loaded up my large BGE and drove from Tennessee to Wisconsin did some great cooks and on the way home Cindy and I stoped in and grilled on two of there large eggs and at the end of the day drove back home to Tennessee.

Now this is how I transported my large BGE and table with help from Cindy. I would let the tailgate down and push the egg and table up to the tail gate and stand on the tail gate with one foot and stand on the egg table with the other foot. I would ask for help if I had any and carefully pull the egg out of the table by the hinge with one hand and this is how I would put the egg back in the table. Then I would cushion the bottom and cushion up against the truck bed. Then I would use my existing tie down places in the lower four corners of my truck. I ran a strap through my empty egg in the lower draft door and out through the hinge over to the other side both tie downs we are using the front hooks on the truck. I will use the rachet type tie downs and cinch it up tight. I then run a strap up through the BGE handle and over the lid and through the hinge again using both front hooks on the truck. This held the BGE from moving around and I tied the table down and wraped all the eggcessories individualy. In 800 miles one way the egg never come loose or moved around but if it did I did stop often and I could have cinched it up tighter.
000_0780.jpg
000_0782.jpg
000_0786.jpg
000_0796.jpg
000_0804.jpg
000_0807.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Is that the Naked Archaeologist in that one pic? :)
  • indy_one
    Options
    Hey there! I'm the guy that was on the Harley in Indy, thanks for all the good info and advice. Things have been busy here and I've only had time to do one pizza (I just posted about it), but I'm on the Forum everyday and have my first cook under my belt. I'm ready to jump in get cooking on my egg for my fall football weekends!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey good to here from you! :cheer: I was updating my past post on how I transported my BGE and I see you have posted there. Cindy and I sure had a good time there. Well i'll be watching for you now. B)
    Tim
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Looks like there is no need to take out the innards. Is that right? I strip my med. every time I haul it. Is that over kill or not? Smiles to you.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    milesofsmiles,

If you are asking me.

When I transported my egg I had everything out and individually wrapped. I went a long way and to many bumps to worry about the fire ring and fire box bouncing around.

:) smiles to you,Tim
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    I have moved my large in my Yukon, (I was able to stand it up) and now in my GMC Envoy -( I must lay it down on its back wrapped in moving blankets.). I do all this lifting by myself - age 66. Remove the ring and fire box and it will lighten the load.

In reading the other posts, DO NOT LIFT THE EGG BY THE HANDLE OR SPRING!! You are only asking for alignment problems. I have found that when you remove the ring and firebox, you can then reach down and grab the door opening from the inside. I then can easily lift the egg out of the table and then use the same method to move it to the new location.

Good luck.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    reaching in to the lower vent works good, wear gloves thogh, i seena nasty cut from the sheet metal doing that so be careful
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it