Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwdown comp - plate recocgnition?

Options
WWSis
WWSis Posts: 1,448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who else recognized the individual plates (and countertops)!? :laugh: I did; at least a few of them! If the next competition is again anonymous, maybe we should plate on paper? :laugh:

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    i thought about that between the boardsmith cutting board and the 1950's yellow formica and the ll bean plates
    it is a dead give away.. there is one other on the forum member that has the same formica though
    what do think about thirdeyes comment of not being annoymous ???
  • it wasn't anonymous before....

i don't know. i know that i don't vote by personality, but rather by the food and pics. i've know in the past who was who, and have always voted for people whose food i think answered the call. i don't vote for those i know just because i like them. hopefully we are all capable of suspending loyalties enough to do that in a friendly contest.

i find that without anything but a plated-pic, it sort of becomes a photography contest more than anything else. with a little more background (process, raw pics, and description) it's easier to understand what went into the cook. for me, cooking is about the whole process, not simply the plated pic. but that's my less-than-two-cents.

i just think the thing (the contest) had more interest and energy when it wasn't clamped down on so much, made so anonymous and regimented.

i also don't understand why someone is saddled with receiving and resizing pics, and copying/pasting, etc.

like i said, my opinion only, and i have already been informed thatit's not needed

edited: >>should add that i haven't voted in a while because i don't feel like i know enough about the individual entries
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    paperplates and a can of budlight, keep everything even. :laugh: my plates are horrible and my plating skills are even worse which plays a huge part in a throwdown where we only have the one plated pic.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    My plating skills are improving, but I still favor the pit shots where you might catch an unplanned whisp of smoke or a area so sizzling meat.

My biggest problem for the plated shots is that my kitchen and kitchen table (I don't have a dining room) is on the north side of my house and has horrible lighting in the afternoon, so if I wait too late to take a plate shot I have to rely on room light and the white balance settings of the camera to do their work.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about..... I like the pit shot of these venison burgers much better than the plate shot.

DSC09333a.jpg

DSC09343a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i liked the open voting and comments and critiques the origional throwdown had. gave you ideas for your own impovements. can see how some wouldnt want that but i found it helpful. oh well, i didnt have time for this one anyways :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I'll take a double with bacon (your bbb please) :)

Oh, and can I get fries with that?

You can't eat the picture Wayne...Keep up the great work ;)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yep, like to see the whole thing as an event, see the ingrediants, the prep, the cook , the plate. with just the one pic its all about the plating and mastery of words in the description. this time of year we in the north are cooking in the dark which doesnt help the pics, i agree. if you cant taste it, you need more to make a better decision of what it would really taste like. you could make alpo look good for a pic B) and noone would know :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Never Summer
    Options
    I agree, Stike. This is the first time I didn't vote. It seems too sterile this way. I really enjoyed the contests where we got to hear about the process and see the pictures.

Why would someone say your opinion isn't needed? I must have missed that post. Obviously they're wrong!

I'd think most folks would vote for the food, not the personality. Plating on paper plates was probably said in jest, but I'd hate to see us regress to that!

Patty
  • yep.

no one watches iron chef for the last ten minutes
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I tend to agree. Im not sure if I am in majority, perhaps not. The first throwdown started as a vision of everyone having a common theme for a weekend cook, which was originally not to even be a contest.
    Since it is based on presentation anyway(not to take anything away from our winners) is it possible the throwdown has played itself out?
    Maybe having a more low keyed, less strict, common weekend cook once a month or so would be good, instead of OR in addition to the throwdown?
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I don't think it's played itself out. Tweak it, don't get rid of it. I agree more of the process should be shown. Maybe five pic's or so.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • i agree especially with what i cooked.. could not fit 6 hours of julia child inspired prep into 1 photo
    but fun none the less