Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

14 inch pizza pan for Mad Max Turkey roast pan?

Options
bcrawfo2
bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've volunteered for Turkey duty this year, so I've started the search for a roaster.
My search at the kitchen store was not very successful.
They have the "granite ware" stuff...which is cheap, but it doesn't have a flat bottom...which supposedly causes problems on glass-top stoves. All other alternatives were WAY too big for my large.

While I was there...I got a 14" pizza pan (deep dish) which I plan on using as a drip pan on my platesetter for low/slow cooks.

Can I get away with using this pizza pan with a v-rack? I don't know how much protection the bird gets from a roasting pan. Looking at the recipe...he estimates about two cups of liquid remains at the end...my pan can hold that (and then some).

I plan on using broken pizza stone pieces to raise the pan off the platesetter.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Did a 15# bird today using a 2 X 15 round pan. The "V" rack was a perfect fit. Plate setter was legs up and the grate then the pan on top. Filled the pan with about 1 1/2 inch cab wine and water some veggies for flavor and then the "V" rack.

Careful closing the top, I pulled the thermometer and then reinserted. Broke one several years ago and for $20 it is worth pulling. I added some water 1 hour into the cook to keep the liquid level from burning.

TURKEYVRACK.jpg Hope this helps.

Total cooking time 2 1/2 hours @ 325F
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Why does it look like an eyeball looking out of that turkey?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    That "EYE" is a granny smith apple slice with a camera flash.d s
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive cooked 16-18 pounders with a 13.5 inch paella pan and a grill sitting on it. pan sitting slighty raised over a pizza stone. you loose some drippings but it works ok
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bcrawfo2
    Options
    Thanks...it looks like I'm good.
    My wife has a new Le Creuset dutch oven, but not sure I can talk her into letting me use that in the egg....even tho it should clean up just fine.