Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey

llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im gonna make a turkey tomorrow following max's recipe but i have a question.
I dont have a roster that will fit in my LBGE. I bought a tin foil roaster at the store that will fit perfectly . Im going to put it on top of my plate setter sitting on the legs of the egg with the turkey on my inverted rib rack.

My question is when it comes time to make the gravy i need to deglaze on the stove. I have a glass top stove And was wondering if that tin foil roaster would be ok on there or do i need to move it to a different pan to make the gravy. I dont know if the tin foil roaster will on up on the stove

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Some of the new stove tops do not like aluminum. Try a test run with water to see if you can get it to boil, otherwise I would try and deglaze on the BGE. Also place aluminum balls or something between the plate setter and your pan or you will have no liquid or drippings to worry about.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    I personally would decant the liquids in the foil pan into one suitable for your stove top, De-glaze the foil pan on the egg and then add the fond and liquids into the pan for your stove top and proceed with the gravey. Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck. Bet it will be amazing. Post a pic and let us know how it turns out. :)
  • this plan gets my vote
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Here's a pic of my son when he was 11 making the gravy with the same set up you descibed. You'll do great. A wooden spoon & a wisk works best I think.
    DSCI0055.jpg

DSCI0053-1.jpg
  • the plans described will work fine. ..the other thing you can do is to simply pour off the dripping from your aluminum pan into bowl. ...start your roux in a fresh pot on the stove and then add your dripping from the bowl. . .you won't be giving up that much by not having that little bit of deglazed crud from the roasting pan. . . . but from the looks of what big'un did, you should be OK.. ..
  • cleinen
    cleinen Posts: 102
    I made a test run turkey yesterday. What I did was use the gas grill to do the gravy. I started on the egg but it got smoky. I was also using a foil roasting pan.