Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium or Small?

Options
Flathead egghead
Flathead egghead Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a LGE several months ago. Grilling is as good as it gets and now I want to compliment it with a medium or a small for veggies and side dishes. I love the large but I doubt I will be using it as much during the Montana winters. With a small I can wheel it in and out of the garage easier(I built a good sized table for the large) but will probably be grilling several steaks @ a time during the winter months. If $ isn't a factor is a small too small? I'm going down to Missoula his weekend to watch UM remain undefeated and have a chance to pick up either a sm or med. Any thoughts out there. Go Grizz---#1 in Division I Football Championships(the Playoff Division).

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I had to make the same decision in '06 had a large at the time. Decided on the small. Can cook steaks for 4-6 depending on cut. 6 strips, 4 nice delmonicos. and 3-4 porterhouse depending on size. Spatch a turkey breast, 4 lb chicken and many other options. Never looked back.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I decided on the small to compliment my Large. If I had to to do again, it would be a toss up. The small is great for putting in the car and taking to a campsite, remote cook, etc.
    IMHO, the draft door on the small is a little on the small side. It is the same size as the mini, with the med and large sharing the same size.
    Not sure this helps.....
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I struggled with this decision also. I went with a medium because I just felt like I would need a little more space than the small offers. I figured if I ever took it camping I could still load the medium. I unloaded it myself when I got it home. I would say however if I was going to move it every weekend of the summer to camp I would go with the small. A couple times a year would be no problem. I have cooked on my medium 5 times in the last week and love it. Would I have loved the small? Probably so. I do see me cooking on the medium most of the time though. I would advise you to draw two circles on a piece of paper the size of each grid and see if that helps you decide what size grid you would want. Maybe that will help.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I like the idea of drawing the circles.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    If $ is no problem, get one of each. :)
    I have a LG, MED and a Mini! Looking for a small to round thinds out.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• OKCegger
    Options
    I have a XL & MED. I love my medium. If I had a small I bet I would love it too!! :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Smalls are very portable and you can cook a bunch on them.

Flathead lake?

I ski bummed on Big Mountain back in 92-93. Actually had a tiny little cottage on Whitefish Lake. Got in just over 100 days on the slopes and worked the front line at Moguls. Still surprised I left. :huh:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Yes,
    I have all 4 and that's it for me. Heck, I'm only one so I think I have enough. :laugh:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    OKcegger,
    I just spent quite a bit of time thinking about it and I can't find any reason why you wouldn't Love it either. So go get a small!! :laugh:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Flathead egghead
    Options
    It is Flathead Lake and I can see Big Mtn from here. It looks like it is getting dumped on this morning; a few more storms and it will be ready for Thanksgiving weekend!!!......Are eggcessories size specific or can some---nest, pizza plate, cover, etc--that fit the large also fit the medium? John
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I'm not sure anything would work in the medium. Honestly, if your not going to be traveling with it, you may just want another large. For that very reason. All the toys will interchange. I have a Lg, Sm and mini. The little ones travel a lot and are also much better on lump usage.
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    We have a Large and a Small. When we set our clocks back and it became too dark to cook dinner where the Eggs reside (because the EggDeck project is on indefinite hold) I moved the Small over next to the side door. Not only do I not have to slog my way out through the mud, but the porch light nicely illuminates the cooking area. I'm cooking everything except Sunday dinner on the Small now, and it's working fine. Even the smaller pizzas are well received because we can have more combinations of toppings.
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    I thought the same thing, wish I could get more air in the small!
    It works fine once up to temp< but takes more time than you would think.