Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will an Egg work as a Tandoor?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I do a lot of grilling, but ALSO do a lot of Thai and Indian cooking. I have a home made Tandoor, and have found a place where I can order one from India, but have also found out recently about the BGE. The Ugly Brothers website says the BGE can work as a Tandoor, and I was wondering if it could (then, I could replace some of my current items). [p]However, reading the forum it seem as if some people have had BGEs crack at high temperatures. Tandoors ar used at well over 500 degrees. Has anyone used a BGE as a Tandoor and cooked Tandoori breads, poultry, etc?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_11_9919_27_03.jpg
    <p />Peter, I have had my medium BGE in excess of 1000 degrees dome temperature many times - typically for searing steaks. Apparently the original BGEs had less heat tollerance.[p]The only thing that I have done is Tandorri Chicken - click on the link! Good luck - You'll not go wrong with the BGE!
    [ul][li]Tandoori Style Chicken[/ul]
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    Peter,[p]I have never heard of an egg cracking, though a firebox will crack on occasion (mine has been cracked for over a year now, cooks just fine). BGE will replace a cracked firebox under the lifetime warranty, but I've never bothered...[p]In any case, definitions are probably in order. When we talk about "high temp", we are usually talking about the 800-1200 degree range. These things will do 500 all day.[p]Jump in!
    Kevin