Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Lahey Method for No-Knead Bread in a Pot

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the same bread Ross made a few days ago. Thanks Ross ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=741371&catid=1#

I found the book online called My Bread by Jim Lahey.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/15270087/My-Bread-by-Jim-Lahey-with-Rick-Flaste

I mixed a double batch of the bread dough and let it rise for 18 hours so I could use an 8 quart dutch oven with and without a lid. After 18 hours I fliped out the dough and put it in a towel for two more hours.

000_1126.jpg

I had the large all cleaned out and full of fresh lump up to the fire ring. I heated the egg with the platesetter legs up and bge feet under the 8qt CIDO and lid to 475* for one hour before baking the bread.

000_1130.jpg

After Twenty hours of rising I floped the dough in the CIDO for thirty min with the lid on.

000_1127.jpg

I used a Large CI skillet for a lid. After baking for thirty min with the lid on I took the lid off for fifteen or twenty more min. Then I fliped out the bread to a cooling rack for one hour.

000_1131.jpg

I used my raised food grate for a cooling rack.

000_1135.jpg

000_1134.jpg

I think this is very good bread with some sweet butter on it or anything you can think of. :whistle::);)

000_1136.jpg

000_1137.jpg

Comments

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Thats some fine looking bread I toast mine in the morning and put peanut butter on it. I also got a La Cloche for baking bread
    http://www.breadtopia.com/store/la-cloche.html

Ross
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    That looks great
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Ross, Cindy and I enjoyed making this bread and it was a first on the egg as well. I have used some store bought bread dough and thawed it out and cubed it up to bake some sweet sticky things that were very tasty. :P

I seen where you posted about the La Cloche. I guess this is all about baking in an oven in an oven.

Cindy and I are getting better after having a realy soar/clearing throat and coughing all the time. :side:

I had some BBribs but we waited to long and they went bad. So, now I am going to make some Cordon Blue you got me started on. I have a little twist to them I have a finishing sauce to drizle over them and I want to bread them. I just don't know exactly how to cook them with breading on them. Tim
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I'm glad you guys are having fun cooking and baking as for the breaded chicken maybe indirect 275*-300* just a thought Tim I have never cook breaded chicken

Ross
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    That bread looks great, but TWENTY HOURS??? I think I would forget about it by the time it got ready to put on the Egg or something would get in the way. Heck, here in central FL it might rain cats and dogs from one day to the next!!!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Jim Lahey was on the Splendid Table last week on NPR. Very interesting.

Gary
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice job on that bread!! I think I'm going to bake some bread this weekend. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Molly! I hope your bread turns out very good. :) Tim