Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best setup for big turkey on a Large

Options
hutchybones
hutchybones Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for the best setup for a big(20#) turkey on a large BGE. I'm a visual learner so pics would be most appreciated! I'm planning to use Mad Max's recipe/method.[img size=150][/img]

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    If you're doing a Mad Max turkey why not try his set-up. He states that his tukey was about 21 lbs Just a thought. Others will chime in.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    My normal set up looks like this. Plate setter legs up, little green feet, large roasting pan, v-rack and of course the bird du-jour.

IMG_0579.jpg

Mark
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Nice looking bird Mark, I'm getting hungry for turkey and I just had a T dinner on Vet. day. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Thanks Bob. I think that was my first one and I've been the official family turkey roaster ever since....

A couple words of advice hutchy. Don't skimp on the lump. Go right up to within an inch of your plate setter with it. A fire burning at 325 -350 for hours burns up a lot of lump. Let the lump burn clean and temp stabilize for at least an hour before you put the bird on. Nothing will pick up that bad smoke flavor from new lump like a cold turkey. And yes, I speak from experience on both counts. ;)
  • hutchybones
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it!
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    Weekend Warrior....with your setup, have you noticed any issues with the liquid/juices burning in the roasting pan?

I did my first turkey last year and wasn't really able to do the MM gravy since it burned. I think part of the pan was not really protected by the plate setter.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Just add some water now and again to keep the good stuff in the roasting pan viable. No big deal.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    I think that's why he's got the BGE little feet on top of the plate setter and under the roasting pan. The feet create an air gap between the roasting pan and the plate setter that should keep the juices from burning.

If you don't have the feet, you can use crumpled up aluminum foil pieces (like tin foil pancakes, about 1-2 inches in diameter and a 1/4 inch thick) to accomplish the same thing.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Last year I did beer butt turkey with one almost that big. I used one of the Fosters oil can beers and it was absolutely the best turkey that I've ever had.
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    Well, it is hard to see, but here is my setup from last year. I had only had the egg for 3-4 months when I did this but the turkey turned out great.

I didn't have extra feet at the time (but do have some now), so I used some small clay pot sausers to elevate the pan off of the plate setter. Hoping for even better results this year!

turkey.jpg