Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress Table Questions

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for the post here...not much action on the BGE Table forum...thought someone here might be able to help. I hope you don't mind the post here admin/folks...if so please forgive and remove:

After drooling over countless wonderful egg tables at the Naked Whiz...here...and all over the net:

1) I calculated the materials that I would need given the wood species that I desired and realized that I would be spending far more money.
1.5) I'd still have to hunt down desirable wheels/casters
2) I don't have a chop saw
3) I don't have free time
4) I don't have wood working prowess
5) I like my fingers

etc.etc.et.

I went ahead and bought the long BGE Cypress table. I got it on ebay..it was VERY reasonable (even including the shipping) when compared to any local dealer for the exact same table. It was also only $20 more than buying JUST THE WOOD for a proposed home made Naked Whiz type table (red oak from the local lumber supplier).

Now...I need your expertise. I'd like to stain this table a dark brown color. I'd then like to seal it with some type of wood sealer / lacquer / or some such toxic waste I like the idea of spilling sauce on it...putting the grill brush on it....then being able to wipe it off with a sponge.

I knowthat it's just wood and it'd be fine....but a boat finish lacquer type stuff might just give it an almost plastic like laminated top. I don't know if I'm crazy....but the table seems pretty decent...especially with a little stain and then a super protective lacquer coating....at least on the table top portion of the table.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Use this

101_2286.jpg

to get this

101_2161.jpg

101_2168.jpg
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    If I had a cypress table, I think I would just let it age naturally. If you want to seal it up, then spar varnish works pretty well.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Kitarkus,
    Will the table be out side in the sun and rain?
    If so lacquer is not good as water will make it get a milky look to it, water and lacquer are not good.
    If in the sun you will need a finish that is made for the sun exposure.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    ive got a wooden boat thats two thirds built right now, whats used is the first layer or two is a 2 part epoxy and the last layer or two flagship spar varnish. the epoxy makes it hard and more durable and the flagship spar makes it really shine and stops the uv from yellowing the epoxy. might be good for the table top but never seen anyone take that approach
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I stained mine the shade I loked and then used spar urathane. It is soposed to hold up in all weather and I used four coats all over.Tim

000_1050.jpg
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    I used a dark minwax stain think it was dark ash and my table came out looking great as far as I am concerned. I got a can of polyurthane to coat but got interior and think I need exterior. I need to take that one back and trade. Best I can tell there is no reason you can't do yours the same.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    For you folks using spar varnish on tabletops, is it holding up to greasy stains? In my experience, spar varnish doesn't react well to grease (like sunscreen, skin oils, etc). The wide plank seats of my boat require more frequent refinishing than the trim due to the sweat/sunscreen contact (I know boat owners who ban suntan oil for the same reason--it's hell on your brightwork).

Anyway, if I had a cypress table, I wouldn't stain it. Cypress is a lovely wood, it will darken over time to a gorgeous honey-gold shading into red. Why try to make it look like cherry or walnut or whatever? As for a finish, treat it like furniture: a hand-rubbed antique oil finish (MinWax makes a nice one, premixed) and a couple of coats of butcher's wax will create the best-looking finish this side of a Thomas Moser showroom. It takes a little elbow grease, but it's no more difficult than applying varnish, and a lot less fiddly/harder to mess up. It's also more forgiving than polyurethane (no worries about bubbles, brush strokes, yellowing).
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Thanks Pool Man...and all. I did go with a MinWax walnut stain and I am going to use the spar urethane. The table will be under a porch..but likely uncovered. I stained it yesterday..and the walnut color was EXACTLY what i was looking for (called special walnut). I plan to try to get the spar urethane on this weekend...I'll post pics when done.

thanks for all the suggestions and time that you guys took to post.

Jason
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    I like your table...same one I got...I stained differently. Did you use the clear gloss or the semi gloss urethane? Just curious...I'm getting ready to urethane over the weekend and bought the clear gloss...I'm having second thoughts.

Thanks,

Jason
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Pat,

Mine looks almost exactly like yours. Right now I'm keeping a tarp over mine but in a couple of weeks the patio will have a cover over it and the tarp will go back in the garage!!! I'll put pictures up when all is done.
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Well...I have two coats of urethane on now...and it is really going to look nice. Cold temps and even a chance of snow today :S has put a damper on my remaining coats. The urethane is just too stinky to do in the basement...I think it'd make me sick. I'm anxious to be done....I'll post when complete. Thanks all for the suggestions.