Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I use a plate setter?

Options
greennewb
greennewb Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked chicken leg quarters tonight. Only my second cook on the BGE. Just got an XL. I apparently had hot spots because I burned the outside of some of the chicken pieces. Do most people use a plate setter when cooking chicken? I have one but have not used it yet.
Thanks

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    You can do it either way but a raised grid would help keep it from burning. I have been cooking my chicken indirect and then getting the skin to where I want it. It works for me. :)
  • rjf
    rjf Posts: 10
    Options
    I usually use the plate setter for indirect cooking of chicken. Works really well for chicken wings and drumsticks.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You can go either way with chicken. My favorite is with a raised grid at about 400*

Go ahead and try indirect and see what you think.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I use a raised grid with chicken. With white meat I go direct, with dark meat I go indirect with a drip pan. I don't care for the taste of the smoke that comes from chicken fat. -RP
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I go raised grid direct for chicken as well. Being a new egger you may not have a raised grid setup yet. Theres several things you can do to raise the grid up higher than it sets. You can make legs for your grid with bolts or if you want to raise it up now I have actually used 4 or 5 deep well long sockets and just set them around the fire ring and scooted them up against the wall of the egg and set your grate on that. Several ways to do it. You can also leave the grid where it sets and just use about half the lump you would normaly use. This will put more space between lump and grid. Good luck!
  • fishbone
    Options
    I don't have the raised grid yet but I do go with direct cooking using only the lump I need at 325 for 45 min. and it comes out perfect every time.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Like Rolling Egg said but when you get a round to it BGE does make a two tier for the XL. It is not on their web site but ask your dealer, they run around $50. I love mine. I would say it is a must for the XL.
    Here is a picture of it.
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/Big_Green_Egg_reg_2_level_Cooking_Grid_for_AXLHD_p/bge2tierxl.htm
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    If you want to do the raised grid, buy a 21" grid. Also get (4) 3/8-16x 4 1/2 Carriage Bolts, (8) 3/8-16 hex nuts; and 8 3/8 x 1 1/2 Fender Washers. Make sure the fasteners are Stainless Steel. The Bolts are going to used for Legs. Put a nut on each bolt, about 1". Then put on the Fender Washer and put th bolt through one one of the grids. Then put another Fender Washer and a Nut and tighten the nut. Do that with the other 3 bolts and there you go. You have a raised grill. You would put the raised grill on top of the grid that is on the Fire Ring. I use the raised grill for chicken as well as shrimp and fish.

I hope this helps. I might be a bit wordy. Sorry.

Gary
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    As others say you can do it eather way. One trick if you do it direct unrised is to have some kind of grill lifter and rotate the whole grill every 10 min. or so. If your like me if I try to rotate the chicken I forget which is which so I just rotate te whole thing 1/4 turn. On a Medium at least the back tends to be hotter and I think thats true for all.