Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

River City Jerky Recipe

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i lost the recipe in the last computer. I love this stuff and want to make another batch. Can someone send a link or recipe....thanks B)

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Is this the one?

Jerky, Beef, River City, Gfw

Philosophy: Experiment... Measure Nothing... Season until it tastes good!

INGREDIENTS:
    3-5 lb beef brisket sliced thin (1/8" or so) with the grain
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    3/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Dark Molasses
    1 tsp Onion Powder (or to taste)
    1 tsp Garlic Powder (or to taste - don't use fresh garlic - it will make the jerky bitter)
    1 tsp Black Pepper (or to taste)
    Dried Chilies Arbol chilies are my personal choice - cayenne are OK - avoid hot sauce because of the vinegar

Directions:
    1 Marinade the beef (3-5 lbs sliced thin) at least 1 hour. I typically do it (12 hours) overnight.
    2 Smoke over low heat (dome temperature 160 to 180 degrees) until desired texture. It may take 12 or more hours. Turn it every couple of hours.
    3 The strips of beef are placed on the grill to create the mound - the grill is preheated to 160-180 using firebricks and drip pan - I let the mound cook for about 1¼ hours and flip the whole thing using a 2nd grid - then it cooks for another hour - after 2¼ hours I'll take it off the grill and start to separate all the pieces from the mound - as the day progresses, I'll use a pair of tongs to turn the jerky about every hour and make sure that all the pieces get rotated.
    4 A lot of work for something that doesn't last very long -- not because it won't keep, but it tastes so good! Try the marinade recipes on the following page as well.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Meat, Side Dish, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: Ken, Submitted by Gfw

Source: BGE Forum, Gfw
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Yeah, thats it....thanks much B)
  • Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Options
    Richard,
    Do you know of anyone using this recipe with vension? I've got some on the way up out of Southern Ohio, and we will be making some jerky out of part of it.
    Thanks,
    RJ
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Looks like it works on venison also.

here is a variation.

Jerky, Beef, GFW's River City, Modified

Okay, I was making GFW's River city jerky and found out that I didn't have all the ingredients. Well, I did what it seems like everyone on this forum does at times like this, I grabbed for the Dizzy Pig.

INGREDIENTS:
    So… for 3-5 lbs beef (or in this case venison)
    1 cup soy sauce
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup dark molasses (dang it I ran out and used honey)
    1 Tbs home made chipotle powder (this makes it hot)
    1 Tbs Jamaican Fire-walk
    1/8 cup tenderquick per pound if you like to go that route.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Snack

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Egginator, 2006/11/15
  • Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Options
    Richard,
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    Regards,
    RJ