Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump reducer question??? ping tjv

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received the lump reducer (solid wall), triangle hanger, 16" ceramic stone, and 18" drip pan that I ordered from the ceramic grill store.
First off everything looks great! The reducer and hanger look and feel really solid.

I want to try a low and slow cook using my new toys and just wanted to know if there is anything special or different that I need to do or pay attention to when setting up for this type of cook. I will probably do ribs so am planning a total cook time of around 8 hours.

Also, if I use the ceramic stone as an indirect piece will I be able to use it for pizza at a later date? I don't see why not just want to make sure I can use for both (during different cooks obviously).

Thanks for any advice
Nick

Comments

• Wrap the ceramic stone in foil to keep it clean. You will want a clean stone for baking.
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Good idea! Thanks.
    Is there any concern about the foil being that close to the lump? Can it burn or create fumes? I wouldn't think so but just want to be sure.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Glad the box arrived in good shape.

On the stone, if you are doing pizza chances are you'll want something (corn meal, parchment paper) between the ZA and stone. I use the same stone for all cooks. My 16 inch is purdy black now. I do pappa murphy's ZA and use their paper carrying plate on the stone, per their cooking instructions. Need to be high in the dome.

With the lump reducer, that is mostly for small grilling type cooks. I've done couple bback ribs smokes, 5 hours, but that's on the edge of time.

I use the hanger, reducer and 15" cast iron grid/skillet for searing steaks. I suggest starting out with the reducer half full of lump: full can surprise some folks.

Depending on where you place the cooking grid, the hanger can go up or down with the stone and drip pan on top. On the XL, I try to get the grid as high as possible. For me, it provides the best air flow.

Play some and have fun. Thanks for the biz. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Tom and thanks for the heads up on the low and slow limitations.
    I do alot of cooking just for myself or for me and my girlfriend so I am really looking forward to using the lump reducer and taking advantage of the versatility it will add to the XL. I'm gonna try a spatchcock tonight.

Thanks again
    Great products and great customer service!