Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken anyone?

Jimivanmotorhome
Jimivanmotorhome Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever had the pleasure of making or feasting on a Turducken? Thinking about attempting to make one for the holiday but looks like a chore.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I've done them. mad max provided a link which was helpful. I boned and stuffed mine, though you can buy them premade....

After 3 years in a row of serving it at my holiday party (only one on the egg), I will be moving onto something else...

It's good, but in my opinion it is mostly about saying you've done it...not good enough for the effort.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here are a few ideas.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=395871&catid=1

Turkey, Turducken, Richard Fl

******************************************************************************

INGREDIENTS:
    1 15Lbs Turducken, Stuffed Creole Style, Tony Chachere's
    *****Marinade*****
    2 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
    6 Ozs. Orange Juice Concentrate
    1 Tbs Oregano
    1 Tbs Pepper, Black
    1 Tbs Cumin
    2 Tbs Kosher Salt
    2 Cups Lemon Juice, Fresh

Procedure:
    1 For a regular unstuffed turkey, marinate the bird over night in a plastic container. This will make enough for a 10-12 pound bird. Saved the basting juice and made a gravy, little tart, but good!
    2 Stuff the bird with lots of garlic and cook as you normally would, using the marinade to baste. Baste the bird every now and then. When done, use the drippings and add some corn starch mixed in cold water and make a gravy.
    3 This marinade is used for turkey, Cajun Style, however I used it for a Turducken.
    4 Marinated turducken for 2 hours. Just basted the turducken. Did not put in any container like the unstuffed bird, 'cause figured the dressing would get mushy. It was a little anyway, but not because of the way it was marinated.
    5 Placed in large BGE 350°F, platesetter legs up, NO SMOKE! 15 pound bird, 20 minutes/pound if defrosted. Internal temperature 160°F. This bird took 5 hours. NOTE the lemon halves to moisten the breasts, hehe.
    6 Roasted in rib rack, turned over, top of drip pan.
    7 Covered with foil the first 4 hours and then removed the last hour to brown up.
    8 Rested for 45 minutes.
    9 Presentation!
    10 Removed drumsticks, thighs and wings, only bones on bird. Split down center and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Marinade, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/03/10
  • They can be a little work. I get a lot of meat from Heberts when I go to Louisianna. They will sell and ship them ready to cook. I think they are top notch in the quality dept. http://www.hebertsmeats.com/index.asp
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Having done a few turduckens also for the holidays, I now prefer a crown roast.
  • You can order one from. wwwcajungrocer.com
  • yeah, i've done one. . .a little labor intensive... . but you can cheat a little (use boneless chicken thighs and boxed stuffing for instance).. . but the flavor is outstanding thanks to the duck fat.. . and if you make stock from the combined duck/turkey carcasses, you will have the best gravy ever!!! . . .the hardest part is deboning the turkey you have to make sure the skin stays fully intact.... doesn't matter with the duck or chicken since they go inside. . . .

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=395871&catid=1