Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Behold...the Roast Turkey Fattie with Stuffing

Options
SkySaw
SkySaw Posts: 656
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's here, and it's good!

1.5lbs of ground dark turkey meat, with stuffing and cranberries, roasted to 190 degrees:

4097144264_4957af25c1_o.jpg

The stuffing was my Mum's traditional style. I simmered a medium onion in butter until translucent; then added some salt and fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme, and a bit of savory; then added 3 pieces of white bread chopped up. In addition to the stuffing, I threw on some cranberries (whole, from the can).

Egg was at 250 with some cherry chips. However, it was taking forever to cook, so I cranked it to 275 degrees, then 300 degrees, and finally 325. It took 2.5hrs to cook, and seemed to be stuck between 140 and 150 degrees forever. I usually do my fatties at 275. I think I'll do this one at 300 for the entire cook next time.

4096384653_cca0131e85.jpg

Here it is, sliced:
4097199996_104d170eb9_o.jpg

This was a very tasty fattie. If you like turkey with stuffing, I think you'll really like this fattie.

Mark

Comments

• Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Options
    Mark,
    It looks like a delicious new Thanksgiving tradition. Thanks for the idea and the great pics
    Regards,
    RJ
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Great cook and pics SkySaw! Scott
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Heck of an idea....I have to give that a try :P
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    I hope you enter that into the throwdown! Looks great!

Joel
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Huh, I missed the initial throwdown posting - thanks for letting me know. That's a funny coincidence :cheer: .

Mark
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    That is very impressive. 10 points for creativity, artistic impression, and technical performance :laugh:

Great idea.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Kickin' it up..I like that!! Great stuff Joel!!
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Mark,

That looks great and sounds delicious. Did you get the ground turkey from the butcher, or did you grind it yourself?

The other night, when I was rolling up my first fatties, my wife asked me, "Are you trying to kill yourself?" I was doing the traditional pork sausage, wrapped in bacon. High cholesterol and dying young run rampant in my family, but I assured her that copious amounts of alcohol and Zocor are effective deterrents to the effects of a ton of pig fat.

She remains unimpressed...

Joe
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Joe, I know what you mean. Sometimes you have to bend the rules quite a bit to make BBQ a healthy option, but the Egg is an ideal choice for the health-conscious pit-minder.

A meat grinder is in my future for sure, but this came from the butcher. If you can't find the ground dark meat, almost any place carries ground white meat. If white is the only choice, i would cook this no higher than 175 degrees.

Mark
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Very nice!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Yum Yum!

Good to meet you yesterday - too bad you couldn't stick around for lunch. We went to spice avenue - decor was nice, food was o.k., servers were nice, prices were steep. At the end of the day, it was still nice to get out!

Hope your wife is feeling better and your nanny issues resolved.

Michael
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    Mark.....did you season the turkey with anything?? How about the stuffing?? What did you use??

This looks great! Might give it a shot this weekend.
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Hi Michael - it was great to meet you and Steve as well. Our nanny is great! So good in fact, that we have a hard time dealing with our lives when she is absent. She is better, and back to work today, and so are we. The title of this thread was inspired by the amount of Spongebob on the tv yesterday :S . Spongebob seems to say Behold! about everything he has to show his pals.

Mark
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Hi Nole - I hope you enjoy it if you give it a go. I did not season the turkey with anything, except to brush the surface with a bit of melted butter with S&P when I put it on the Egg. For the stuffing I cooked some finely chopped onion in butter until soft, then added salt and chopped fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage, and a bit of savory), and then added 3 slices of bread that I had chopped fine.

While the stuffing cooled, I laid out the ground turkey on a sheet of saran wrap in a rectangle of even thickness. I spread the stuffing on the turkey leaving room at the sides and ends, and then put a line of cranberries along the centre - much like making a california roll. Then I rolled the whole thing up, and twisted the ends of the saran so the fattie was sealed in saran. I threw it in the freezer while I got the Egg going, and then out of the freezer, out of the saran, and into the cooker.

One last hint for a nice fattie - put a thin piece of aluminum foil under the fattie so that the fattie does not droop down over the grid during the first few minutes of cooking. I remove the foil after about 30-40 minutes.

Fatties are fun!

Mark
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    What a great idea.  Bumping this so I can bookmark.   :-*
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    did you search for "stuffed throwdown?"

Options
    It is really strange when someone bumps a super old post like this to see handles that are pretty exclusive to the "other" forum.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • TEggSun
    Options
    @nolaegghead...no, but that was a great tip.  I wish I knew how to bookmark without having to add some lame commentary that adds no value.  

• TEggSun
    Options
    My apologies, @Scottborasjr.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @TEggSun - there's a little star to the right of the thread title/header...click on that and it goes in your bookmarks.  I've actually never used them, though I imagine it's just like a browser bookmark.
    Options
    @TEggSun - there's a little star to the right of the thread title/header...click on that and it goes in your bookmarks.  I've actually never used them, though I imagine it's just like a browser bookmark.
    Unfortunately, the star doesn't seem to show up when I do a search, only when the thread is "active."