Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Maximum Turkey Size

HorsedocHorsedoc Posts: 14
edited 9:47AM in EggHead Forum
I have seen published that a Large Egg will hold a 20 lb Turkey. Can it hold a larger Turkey? If I cook in a roasting pan vs. vertical roasting can I cook a larger turkey?

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,939
    This was posted by the mother ship awhile back. I am sure some larger than 20's have been cooked. I prefer 12-16 pounders on my large. Be VERY careful if you do a very large one. Pull the dome thermometer out and then close the lid and replace the thermometer. To save $20 is a cheep lesson I learned several years ago.

Turkey, Whole, BGE Size

1 The Small EGG will hold a 12 lb turkey.
    2 The Medium EGG will hold a 18 lb turkey.
    3 The Large BGE will hold a 20 lb turkey.
    4 The XL BGE will hold 2 - 20 lb turkeys.

Recipe Type

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Bobby-Q, 2006/12/08
  • I've done a 21/22# turkey on a Lg w/o problem. The best one I ever cooked was about 16#. I am really not sure whether the size is what mattered or just had a really good bird.
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Skip the roasting pan. Put a 15" drip pan, on BGE feet if you want to use the drippings, on the plate setter. Put the turkey directly on the rack above. This way you're not limited by the size of the roasting pan.

I've got pics if you want to see.... JCA
  • EBEGGEBEGG Posts: 1
    I just got the BGE last week and we are planning on cooking a 20# turkey on it for T'giving. Pictures would be helpful. Thanks,EBEGG