Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sealing Drybags with a Food Saver

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Houston - we have landed!

Near noon today Doug in Eggmonton posted a question if inserting a 1" piece of Food Saver bag inside a Drybag would allow the Food Saver to draw a vacuum without the premature sealing. My first four attempts were failures and then I remembered the little switch inside the FS that will lengthen the sealing time. So I switched it to 5 and started with a new large size Drybag and a 4.5" wide piece of FS bag. It looked like this:
IMG_0732.jpg

With a little coaxing to get the air moving it worked like a charm! Notice I didn't have a sub primal chunk-o-cow to try so I sealed in a Mexican Coca-Cola and two Oscar Mayer Lunchables so as to see how tight the bag drew down. Note for this test I sealed the full width in just one pass. The trough of the FS is slightly over 12" wide and the Drybag is slightly shorter than 12" so it all fit nicely.
Here's a couple shots:
IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

Then since some Food Savers may be narrower I tried the diagonal seal of two corners first and then sealed it up again. Look closely against the dark cutting board and you can see the diagonal seals.
IMG_0737.jpg
and flipped over you can see how the bag has molded to the shapes.
IMG_0739.jpg

Happy sealing folks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the dry bag guys are not going to be happy with you :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    Mike,

I'm not so sure about that as the Sinbo they recommend was not something Drybag sells but passes through to a supplier which sends direct. Besides the stumbling block we see even on this board is people balk at having to spend another $100 for another piece of equipment, when many people already have a Food Saver. The bags themselves are not expensive and can easily be cost justified when aging your own meat vs paying several more dollars a pound for beef dry aged by somebody else! Even buying sub-primals saves money vs buying individual steaks.

In fact I hope this now will move eggers off the fence and try Drybags to see what they have been missing!

Ron
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    then its the sinbo guys you need to watch out for :laugh: that will get more buying those bags for sure. ;) did you send an email to drybags yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    RRP,

Now you've done it! I just ordered three standard drybags. I believe some kudos are due to: Doug in Eggmonton (for the suggestion) and You (for taking the time and initiative to conduct and successfully execute the experiment).

Your excellent report and pics were enough to convince me.

I was at Costco on Sunday eyeballing the whole ribeyes at $5.15/pound for USDA Choice. The local store just recently began carrying USDA Prime strips and ribeyes, so I just might have to have a chat with one of the cutters to see if the whole primals are available for purchase in Prime.

I think I'll start with a choice piece for the first run. Thanks for posting your results. That idea is truly ingenious and simple, as most truly great concepts are.

Nice work, sir.

Joe
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Well I read some of the posts a while back about dry aging yoru own beef and tuned out when I realized I would have to buy another $100 machine, in addition to the bags. I have a FoodSaver machine and it looks like this might work!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • RRP
    Options
    yup! In fact I even called twice today!
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Thanks for the experiment Ron, I might just order up some of those drybags myself.

Doug
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Good job! I was thinking the same thing. Now I will buy with more confidence.
  • Wow! Absolutely brilliant!

I ordered the vacuum sealer and the bags tonight, then I saw this post, and quickly called and canceled, just ordering the bags. The woman actually noted this post, saying someone was able to seal the bags using a foodsaver, and they don't really care about selling us the vacuum sealer.

Anyway, I have a FS V2440? Will this work? Where is the switch inside that you changed to 5?
  • RRP
    Options
    Watch this site later today or tonight for a whole new thread. I will post a how to using a model 2240 which is probably similiar to your 2440. The old model 1050 that I used for this thread had a 3 - 5 second switch where yours now proably has dry and moist buttons. Stay tuned!
    Ron
  • Great. Thanks a mil.
  • how does this really work? does the FS strip go 'over' the opening of the drybag? is the FS strip 'attached' to the drybag? sorry, but i'm having trouble 'seeing' how it fits together by the pics you have posted...i have an older FS i use daily and dearly love and dont want to spend money for another saver.

thx