Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby back ribs

Options
markthewood
markthewood Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My quest for the perfect baby back rib may finally have come to an end. I do not believe that you can completely cook a rack of baby backs @ 200 degrees. Even if you cook them for over 4 hours.[p]My belief is that you must raise temps to about 300 degrees cook out the fat which makes the ribs more tender. The bad thing about cooking at 300 degrees is that the ribs will cook too quickly and you will not get the deep smoke flavor that is desired.[p]So after several attempts, I smoked 2 racks of baby backs on a rib rack in my egg @ 200 degrees for four hours. Then, I cut the racks in half, placed them in foil, and cooked them at 300 degrees for another hour. They were close to perfect! Big deep smoke rings, very juicy, and to my delight, the meat came off the bone as soon as I took a bite. Awesome!!![p]I did prepare them with a prepared mustard rub follwed by a good dry rub. The ribs looked beautiful, smelled great, and were absolutely delicious.[p]I would like to here from my fellow eggheads on their success stories on baby backs.[p]Please keep in mind that on previous attempts,i smoked the ribs for the same amount of time at 200 degrees and the ribs were not tender, and the thicker side was not completely cooked; even after 4 hours!

Comments

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 56
    Options
    markthewood, I would counsel a little more patience. I just did a rack of baby backs last night at a low temp, and they were perfect after about 6 hours. If you are going according to dome temp, you will probably want to get it up to about 220, and you will still have to cook them for up to 6 hours to get them to be tender. [p]It sounds like you have come up with a fine technique as well, but I just wanted to let you know that excellent ribs are posible at low temps given enough time. [p]Brett

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    markthewood,
    I actually cook at 225 degrees for 3 hours and then liberally smother in my favorite BBQ sauce (Monty Inn Sauce- Cincy, OH)and wrap with foil. Then I cook for another 2 hours at 250 degrees. Always great success.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    markthewood,
    can't cook baby backs in four hours at 200.[p]more like 5.5 to 6[p]300 is a slow roast.
    why the hurry up? just toss them on and walk away. 200 to 250 dome

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante