Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rolled Flank Steak redux

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
now that i've gotten smart enough to post pictures, thought i'd post my now infamous flank steak recipe again, along with a couple of pics. . . [p]LinkPhoto?GUID=971e68f0-61c3-54ce-2968-227d5d072cea&size=lg
[p]here is a pic of the laid out butterflied flanksteak, covered with prociutto, roasted yellow and orange peppers, fresh oregeno and grated cheese (normally use parmegian, but i happened to have a fresh brick of romano that i grated, just as good). .. then roll it up tight. ..[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=588f17d4-604a-27fc-2e02-5c7543d3285c&size=lg
[p]here is the roll on the egg, cooking indirect over plate setter at 375 dome temp for about 35 minutes. . .[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=2d72312e-7c24-7367-307c-55a55b4455df&size=lg
[p]and here it is on the cutting board being slice. . .served it with the farro salad i provided under the 'balsamic vinager' thread from earlier today. . .[p]for those of you who may ask, here is the flank steak recipe again. . .[p]ROLLED FLANK STEAK[p]1 good sized flank steak, butterflied and marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs de provence. .
3 yellow/orange peppers - roasted and peeled (if you have never done this, see below)
about 1/3 pound thinly sliced prociutto
basil
parmegan cheese (canned shaker variety)[p]lay out the marinated butterflied flank steak, cover evenly with a layer of the prociutto. . .spread the roasted peppers along one long edge (they should cover about 1/4 - 1/3 of the steak. .
.sprinkle liberally with the basil and parmegan cheese. . .roll tightly in a log (you may need to use some tooth picks to hold them, i don't). ... lay them in a pan (i used a big ceramic dish
which worked quite well in the egg). ..drizzle some of the left over marinade on them. . .cook for about 45 minutes at 375 - 400 dome temp for medium. ..slice them into thin rolls. .
.makes a nice presentation. .. the recipe originally calls for them to be served at room temps, we like them warmer. . .your choice. [p]NOTES about butterflied flank steak and roasted peppers[p]1. you can ask your butcher to butterfly the flank steak or you can do it yourself. .. lay the flank steak flat, using a long knife to slice the steak into two thin halves be keeping the knife parallel to the cutting board (depending on your pan/dish, you can leave it in one big flat piece or slice completely through it and have two pieces (two are easier to work with into two small rolls). .. it is also easier to slice through if
you put the steak flat in the freezer for about a half an hour so that it is a little 'stiff'. . .[p]2. if you haven't peeled peppers before, you cut them into flat slices, put them skin side up in the broiler until they are black and burning on top. . .then pull them off and immediately put
them into a large zip-lock baggie for at least 15 minutes. .. pull them out and the skins will peal right off leaving you with lovely soft pepper pieces. ..

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    flanksteak.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I love that recipe. Your earlier post about the Balsamic was interesting. The first time I did your recipe I didn't have time to marinate the flanksteak. I rubbed a "good" balsamic, about $20.00 for a small bottle, into the meat, then some olive oil, and then spiced it and followed the rest of your directions. It was so good I have done it the same way since (about 4 times at least). [p]Thanks again for the recipe. I look forward to seeing you again in Waldorf.[p]Chuck

• Chuck,
    i'm looking forward to waldorf as well. . .when is that daughter of your's getting married?. .. i'm already to bring my egg to jersey and help you cook rolls. . .[p]cheers[p]max

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That really looks good. I'm getting all kind of different ideas to cook for XXXVIII. Have you tried any variations?[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike,
    they are good, and no, i've stuck with basic recipe, although i think i remember joel fermen sticking mushrooms in his when he tried them. . .[p]nice thing for a super bowl or other party, you can do these in advance, stick em in the fridge overnight, then pull them and let them come to room temps and serve them that way. . .[p]enjoy

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Speaking of that bad boy, anybody seen or heard from Joel since the new year started.[p]Let's face it, his life was too good to be true and nature hates happy bachelors. I worry that his silence is ominous. [p]CB
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Hey max,
    That looks like a great recipe. I'll have to give it a try. Have you tried to fire roast the peppers? It gives the finished product a light smoky taste. Especially those real meaty colored ones from Costco.
    Like Nature Boy's pics here:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/111016.htm
    and here:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/111024.htm
    Dan

• DTM,
    i just his pics. .. no, i haven't tried to do them on the coals yet, but you can bet i will. . .i'm sure it will work just as well for large peppers as small. . .although for ease, i might be inclined to slice them first and just lay the slices skin down on the coals. . ..[p]give the recipe a try, you won't be sorry.. .

• char buddy,
    yea, i really miss his posts. . . may have bean one of the most creative cooks out there.. .but given some of his other activities, either one of his girlfriends did him in, or he can't post from 'inside' (if you get my drift). . . i do miss the kid. . . joel, joel, where are you?????

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Wow ! can't wait to try this one. What do you think about adding some fresh spinach in there ??

• Memphis,
    can't imagine it wouldn't be good. . .in the basic recipe the sweetness of the peppers, matched with the saltiness of the prociutto really stands out (the basil and cheese just add to it).. .not sure what spinach would do, but i'm sure it would be good.. .give it a try and let us know how it turns out. .