Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question??

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy. Still wound up as ever about this eggfest thang! My brisket has been cooking for 8.5 hours now, and internal temp is already at 160! Never seen one move like this. Calibrated dome thermometer and checked polder before the cook. I moved the probe to a new location, and was surprised how easily it slid in. Temp 161 there too!![p]For a 10 pound brisket, that seems awfully quick. The dome temp has been in the 240 range most of the time. Never seen a brisket cook this quickly, except when I tried Elder's 270 technique. Any ideas?? Maybe I will get a super long plateau on this Choice chunk-o-chest.[p]Was expecting 20 hours, but twas not to be??[p]NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]The temp rise should slow quite a bit now. Reduce your dome temp to 200-220F. This will slow the cook and extend the plateau. No problems with the cook.[p]Just finished prep for the pizza.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Spin,
    Thanks! I just did that before I saw your message. I remembered the conversation about extending the plateau by reducing temps. Probably have to set my alarm for 2am to check. Wierd how fast it is going.[p]Pizza prep is done! Cool! [p]It feels good to finish prepping stuff. The babybacks are marinated, and ready to transport. The finishing sauce is already done, and in a container. The tri-tips are marinated. Rub packed up, and will apply in Waldorf tomorrow. You know about the brisket. Shake's sauce packed up. Tomorrow a.m buy and clean squid.[p]Gettin there. Can't wait to sink my teeth into a slice of your pizza.[p]My Mom always said I bordered on hyperactivity. The molecules throughout my body are in high gear right now.[p]See you soon.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Nature Boy,[p]It heated up fast because it is a nice cut. The moisture in it transports the heat in faster (like a brined bird). It still needs to slowly dissolve the cologens that make it a tough chew. Extend the plateau as long as you can. Remove once the internal temp rises above 170F. It will be a real treat after you reheat and finish the cook at the Fest.[p]I'm not sure anyone notified the Waldorf Holiday Inn about the potential mess involved when final prepping food in a motel room :).[p]Sue and I both look forward to meeting you (if you have time!) and sampling your many offerings.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Spin,
    Oh, I'll have time! If I can cook the ribs, and reheat the brisket at the same time, that is 3 hours of no-open-egg action. Leaving me plenty-o-time to do the social thing![p]Then the squid is a quickie toward the end. Something light and tasty when everybody is full. Other than that, the tri-tips will be all prepped and with a little help, it'll be a piece of cake.[p]Thanks for the tips on the brisket. I was hoping this baby could cook til mornin, but I think you are right. The Choice cut has more fat and moisture, so it heats quicker. Have dome temp down to 220 now, and internal is holding at 161. Betcha it drops a bit before going back up.[p]Ooooooolala.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Spin,
    Are we still on for the pizza tutorial?

• Spin
    bd,[p]We can do this. I understand that you make a pretty mean one yourself.[p]I will make the dough Friday afternoon(at the motel). I can bring extra for some "hands on" at the Fest. I plan to cook when it is convenient. You can certainly cook some too.[p]Spin

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Spin,
    I'll be traveling with a friend of mine (who bought an egg after he tasted a steak done on Mr. Humpty) and our wives. We'll be leaving Hershey around 9:00 and should arrive at the VFW at 11-11:30. I am not planning on cooking. I am just anxious to meet all of the Eggers face to face, get recipes, and learn new techniques. I certainly want to taste a "Spin-authorized" pizza! See you tomorrow! Can't wait.