Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE in the Weather

Options
highlander
highlander Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am still a Newbie and not real sure when I will lose that title. Anyway, I have been looking at all the beautiful tables that yall place your eggs in and wondering does the rain, snow, sleet,etc harm the egg or temp gauge........I roll my egg around with the nest....[p]Dean in NC "Go Panthers"

Comments

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    highlander,
    My BGE sits out in all Iowa weather. The only problem I have ever had is the freezing of my gasket so I can't open my BGE after a famous Iowa blizzard. Covers are great, but make sure you attach them to your table with gromets or something so they don't blow off and away. You will like a table, much easier to roll around and a lot safer for your BGE when being rolled. You will also like the extra space to put stuff when cooking.
    Julie

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    highlander,[p]I also have the nest & roll mine back & forth from the garage to driveway. Many egg owners have bought & built tables for their eggs. I like the idea of keeping it inside from the rain,snow & bird crap. But that is my opinion. You are on a GREAT forum here with a vast array of cooking knowledge. WELCOME !!
    Dave

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    highlander,
    We keep both of ours outside in the West Virginia weather. The only problem we have had is condensation inside the BGE thermometer. Switched them over to Tel-Tru's and have not had a problem since. I say free up some garage space, and make your egg a permanent fixture outside. [p]~nikki

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    highlander,[p]Here in Colorado, my Eggs sit outside all year round. You can get around the frozen dome "thing" by covering the gasket with aluminum foil when you shut down.[p]Just make sure you have a warm jacket and the snow shovel by the back door. <grin>[p]Ken
  • Coleslaw
    Options
    highlander,
    I found an exhaust hood from a home remodeling site, and installed it my garage (MI). I need to raise my egg up a bit, but I think it will work fairly well. Now we should be able to sit in the garage, q, play cards, and drink barley pop without making a mess of the house.

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    highlander,
    BGE stays outside year round at my place in Minnesota. My biggest claim to fame was some T-bones we had for X-mas eve dinner a few years back when the air temperature was -24. Add the wind, fire up the egg & you have 800 deg in no time at all. I do keep mine covered, the top anyways, to keep from freezing shut. Plus I put a few bricks on the cover around the edge to keep from blowing off. The BGE is a year round cooker for me. Sometimes though, I'm the one who doesn't always want to be outside. No problems affecting the egg by weather in the last 4 years that I've had it. I do bring my thermometer inside in the winter though. Another thing, I changed to the Rutland gasket here a week ago & so far so good. Hats off to everyone for helping me believe it would work as advertised!

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    highlander,
    I have a table for mine with a large BGE green cover to protect from the elements. I have never had a problem with the lid freezing closed (knock on wood) in our freezing Central Ohio temps. I just keep the patio cleaned off so I can use year round. Neighbors look at me like I am nuts but they never say it because they know how good the fruits of my labor is.