Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian Beef

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kids killed me with their colds this weekend so I needed some comfort food...thanks to Pat for the motivation...

IMG_5719.jpg
Good-sized 6lb sirloin tip roast with stuffed cloves of garlic, covered in oregano, basil, thyme, s&p. Pulled at 120 degrees

IMG_5722.jpg
Felt too lousy to photo the process...but did manage one shot today for football lunch...this is the elusive Gonnella bread roll and hot giardinera from Chicago.

Comments

• Rooster K
    Options
    Gotta love the Italian Beef! Looks great! How did you slice it?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Looks great Joe, thats become one of the wife's favorites and has also been added to the superbowl menu.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    I use a small electric slicer (Chefs Choice 610) - not really big enough, but works fine
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Joe,

Yer killin me here! That is screaming for la Bomba.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That looks fantastic.

Comfort food is great for any occasion.

Hope you feel better!

Michael
  • Large Marge
    Options
    The original recipe link is now busted, so thought I'd re-post (originally from Feb 2008):

italianbeef001.jpg
    One 5lb sirloin tip roast well seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. I made a few slits on either side and stuffed some garlic slices deep inside (thanks to brother Jim in Chi-town for that tip)

italianbeef003.jpg
    Cooked indirect at 375-400 dome for 2hrs or until Polder read 120-130 in the center. Used a rack to make sure lots of juices collected below...

italianbeef004.jpg
    Fully roasted and ready to slice. I cooked last night, let it cool, then wrapped the meat tightly and refrigerated overnight, and put in the freezer for a few hours before slicing today. Cooling firms up the meat, producing nice thin slices.

italianbeef005.jpg
    Before going to bed I deglazed the roasting pan with 1.5 cups of beef stock. I broke up all the charred stuff and saved every last drop of this stuff- refrigerated with the roast.

italianbeef006-1.jpg
    italianbeef007.jpg
    Ready to slice... you need an electric slicer to do this well, but I've gotten away with an electric knife and even carved by hand...just do it across the grain and as thinly as you can. Threw all the sliced meat into an 8qt+ stockpot along with the roasting juices from last night.

italianbeef010.jpg
    Heated some olive oil in a large saute pan or wok and sauteed 6 smashed garlic cloves, 2-3 sliced medium onions, 2-3 sliced green peppers, and 2 red peppers, about 5-8 mins and threw all this into the pot. Added 1/4 cup chopped parsley, another cup of beef stock, 1.5 cups of chicken stock, and 1/4 cup dry white wine. I like to add a little more oregano and thyme at the beginning as well. Heated to simmer, 1 hour 15 minutes, then added salt and pepper to taste.

italianbeef014-1.jpg
    The finished product...topped off with that elusive hot giardinera packed in oil that can only be found in Chicago and a few online spots. Now if I only had some Gonnella bread ...this is Publix french bread, they have some "Chicago rolls" that are small but look hard enough to withstand all the gravy. I'll try those next.

Enjoy!

- Marge