Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've surpassed the cook, close to the ambience but

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I took my wife, Pat, to our "forever favorite" steakhouse for a belated birthday meal. While the cuts of meat were their normal generous size the $85 I dropped just didn't seem worth it anymore. I sure the heck beat the taste on my BGE, certainly can come close to the ambience with all the white linen/crystal and candles, but getting someone to clean up after is what I've got to work on next. I know our two Westies would love a shot at it but, but Pat doesn't think so...
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RRP,[p]I just moved, so the ambiance here today will be chicken wings served on paper plates eaten on top of carboard box table tops. At least we won't have to worry about using coasters for our beers![p]Go Indy and Philly![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,[p]Belated congratulations![p]I know what you mean about the experience. I've gotten to the point that if I can do it on the Egg, I don't see any reason to pay that much for cleanup.[p]Ken
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Sorry bro, but the only game the Colts will be prepping for tommorow is golf. Pats all the way baby, not big on superstars, but absolutely the most solid TEAM to hit the field since, well since the '01-'02 Patriots. It doesn't really matter who we beat in Houston.[p]Cheers, I hear Star Spangled Banner in the other room, must be kickoff!
    C~Q

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Know the feeling. Haven't been to a steakhouse in almost two years. Nothing against them, just I have pretty much perfected steaks to my liking and anything else is well, something else. Same with ribs, and brisket, and leg-of-lamb, and pulled pork, and, and, and....
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    What grade of meat do you get to equal or surpass a good steak house?

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Daddyo, I just buy what is at the supermarket, but I select it very carefully. If in doubt, or the selection is not too good, well I'm in pretty good terms with the butcher. If still in doubt, I am pretty handy with my mallet type tenderizer which I use to further pound the seasoning into the cut. Also, I have had some VERY disappointing cuts from steakhouses. Maybe it's not so much a science, but more of an art?

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    RRP,
    Hi Ron,
    While I can appreciate your point of view and having been married twice and am now single, LOL[p]You did the right thing, on those special occasions, take the sweet lady out and make her feel like a queen. Enough said.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    RRP,
    Ron, I agree with ya on that one. Jim can cook a steak that is far better than any one we can go out and eat. We really love The Lariat but haven't been for awhile. If we want to splurge we go to Rocke's and pick up some great steaks. Where may I ask did you go?? Maybe we could go to each others houses cook, serve and clean up. ha, ha

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]I had the realization moment watching the end of the Pats/Miami game in the snow after Miami had smacked around Dallas on Thanksgiving. As much as my rest of AFC East hating self didn't want to believe it, I thought at that moment that the Pats would be in the Superbowl. Looks like that thought was correct! No real superstars (though I will grudgingly give Brady credit if he wins the big one again), a solid defense, a mistake free offense, and great coaching. The Colts, like KC, are so flawed with that liability defense.[p]Beer will keep me into these games, either way![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    maddaug,
    Hiya Shirley! It was Jim's Downtown. We got hooked on Jim's after we were first married back in '66 when it was in a real old wooden building on Peoria's near northside. The menus then were large pieces of leather which had the fare burnt on them with a wood burning tool. We've followed the Comfort family to each of their succeeding locations due to consistancy of their beef, but I swear the New York strips last night had an entirely different marinade taste and had a mushy interior. That was a major disappointment...especially for the cost of the meal. Take care!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cornfed,
    Ouch, 0 for 2, that's gotta hurt. Bottoms up and here's mud in your eye, drown out that pain buddy, but with your luck, I hope you stay an AFC East hatin, dyed in the wool NFC fanalunatic while I'm Eggin up my victory brisket, beef ribs and chili come the First of February. Another victory parade on Boston Common this year, and if the Bruins can keep something going maybe we'll get another long overdue parade down Causeway St. this year too!
    And as long as we're still in the Bizarro Universe, you're invited to come up and eat off of my Egg after the big parade on the Fenway when the Sox take the series in October![p]Cheers and Beers,
    C~Q