Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt in 11 hours.

Options
Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a nice size butt on the Large at about 6:30. Temp never went above 250, while I was awake was always around 230. Woke up at 5:30 and the butt was done. Is this one of those Turbo Butt situations I have heard of? I wrapped it up in foil and towels and put it in the oven, it should hold until 2 pm, right?

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Does sound like a turbo butt. What was the weight before cooking?

I'm not sure why but, I'd wrap in towels and hold in the cooler. It will stay hotter and for longer.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It works better to hold in a small cooler and fill any voids with more towels. You can even add a large container with hot water and re-heat the water every so often. 6 hours is a long time though. You may want to just hold it for 4 hours or so and then pull and sauce it and hold in a crock pot.

What size butt?

Have you calibrated that dome thermometer?
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    It was around 8 to 10 pounds.

Dome thermometer has not been calibrated, but it is a brand new Tel Tru. But I was using my ET-73 as well and there was only a little variation between them.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Your good then :)

Go the cooler route and then pull the pork at 4-5 hrs, sauce and hold in a crock, if that's an option.

Turbo Butt for sure :ohmy:
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Here's what I would do and it's worked for me on a couple occasions. I always double wrap in HD foil and put it in my oven at about 180 for a couple hours. Then go to the cooler for the last 4. I try not to use a cooler over 5 hours. If you already have it in a cooler I would go to the oven for a couple hours and then back to the cooler. It will not dry out the butt any if you have it double wrapped and sealed well. Enjoy the day! It will turn out fine.