Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grid on an adjustable rig a no-go?

Options
Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Basically, in a nutshell:
Does anybody make a cast iron grate that would sit on top of the adjustable rig?
So..... I'm lusting after both the adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store for my large egg, as well as a Cast Iron grate from the mothership...
But I was reading some more about the rig on their extremely informative website, and it says that they don't really recommend it, as the outer rim of the c.i. grate doesn't quite reach where it sit's on the rig?
I guess it's kind of unstable?
Is anybody using both?
Is there a way to do it?

Thanks!
RicklesssssS in Oregon

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    I've got one that I bought at Academy. Works great
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Howdy Rickless, I make the adj. rig. The BGE CI grid will sit atop the adj. rig. but there is nothing to hold it in place in case you bump/slide it. The CI grid is approx. 18 inches in diameter. The outside diameter of the rig's top ring is approx. 17-3/8 inches.

I'm not sure you gain much by using the CI grid atop the rig. At 6 inches above the fire ring, the cook is more of a roasting method as opposed to a searing method. All the cooks I do using cast iron are done low in the egg, so the CI can absorb plenty of heat and transfer that heat to the meat during the cook. Attempting it far from the lump (atop the rig) is not the most effecient way, as a good deal of energy (heat) is lost over the added distance.

Feel free to call or email me if you like to discuss it further. Email and phone are on the website. Thanks for the interest in our products. Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Hey T,
    Have you guys thought about having a 12-??" or so CI grate made as an addition to your line of accessories? Something that would fit inside the legs of the spider for closefire searing.