Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Adhesive Question

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The question I have is on the manufacture date of the Rutland adhesive. We are expecting some good weather the next few days and I figured since I had the time I would change the gasket on my egg since the winter is coming and it does have a small leak. When I went to purchase the adhesive the numbers do not match the configuration that is posted on the Naked Whiz's website. The number stamped on the tube is 110354. This tube is purchased separately from the 5/8 gasket material. They also have a package which sells the gasket and adhesive and the number on that tube is 207287. Based on the information below none of this matches:
To assure you have good product check the small code embedded in the crimped end of the adhesive tube. It is visible even in the bubble wrap. The first two digits are the day of the month of production. The third is a letter whereby B = 2003, C = 2004 and D = 2005 etc. The next two numbers represent the month and the last letter is the batch that particular day. Now add 18 months to that date of production and you will know if the product is still fresh.

Does anyone know what the new code is and if these are good tubes to use.

Ron Pratt if you read this please send me your e-mail address as the one I had no longer works.
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I previously used the Rutland adhesive that comes with the gasket with poor results. The adhesive was fresh but really not very pliable or sticky. Most of the gasket came loose at different times over the course of a year.

I replaced it with another Rutland gasket and used Rutland's silicone adhesive. I think it is rated for 500 degrees but have had my egg over 650 many times without issue. It bonds great and I would highly recommend using a silicone product over the other adhesive. Some automotives silicone are rated for 600 degrees but I have had mine on over a year with terrific results using the Rutland silicone.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    John,
    yes that is a stale email address and I'll reply to the one via the board so we can take it off line. OTOH Rutland discontinued with the easily decipherable expiration code about 2 years ago. I talked with two people supposedly in the know at Rutland and they said the only way to know is to call their customer service number with the stamped number. Pretty stupid move in my thinking! People have had better success using an automotive product called Permatex Ultra Copper to install that gasket. I have heard of no adhesive failures with Permatex - unlike the latex based Rutland adhesive.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mijoey
    mijoey Posts: 58
    Options
    The last Rutland gasket that I got from Ron Pratt, he recommended a product made by Permatex called Ultra Copper.It can be purchased at any automotive supply store. It worked good for me.
    Mike
    Melbourne,Fl.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will pick up the gasket material and the Permatex Ultra Copper
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I've got a lg, and although I haven't done any seering cooks, the gasket is nonetheless deteriorating. BGE sent me a replacement over a year ago but I've yet to act on the issue. While the leakage is minimal, at some point I'd like to get my cooker back to normal. Is the best solution a silicone gasket and the recently-mentioned Permatex adhesive? I most welcome your advise!!~~